HTPC Build- vapor Ware Shortcomings

S

silvergreek

Audiophyte
I thought I did my research and built a HTPC in excess of $1,500. My goals, a smartt loooking system to watch TV thru the internet, record and watch Time wanrer cable shows using a dual tuner and to use the internet.

After extesive reserach Here are the compnonets and my observations:
The case :Antec Fusion Remote Max Chassis HOME THEATER PC
ENCLOSURE BLACK FRONT BEZL W/LCD REMOT &
MEDIA SOFT System Cabinet - 4U - Rack-mountable - 5 Bays
MFG#: FUSION REMOTE MAX T35731; The video display worked for 5 hours, Customer Support at 1-800-222-6832 (800-22ANTEC) from 10:00am to 4:00pm and you are on hold for a long time. The iMON software does not work with Vista Media Center...

Dual TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit WINTV-HVR-2250 MC-KIT DUAL TV TUNER PCIENTSC/ATSC/QAM MC REMOTE . The HTPC never recognized the remote. the card is connected to the Time Warner set top box. The installation and user documentation is extremely poor. It is in PDF printable on 11 by 14 paper and you need a magnifying glass to read it. There is real help on the vendor web site. the remote has never worked and Custoem Supprot suspects it is the IR balster antenna.

1. I tried running media center and it requires a remote control. MC never found the TV tuner remote. I called them and one holds for 10 minutes and then you leave a phone number. After 3 calls, I discovered : 1. The dual tuner will not record while I watch another channel. The only way of doing this is to get another set top box, yes get two TW set top boxes and plug each one into each port.... No one in independent reviews and the vendor home page or user manuals disclose this.

Also tech support informed me that I only need their single tuner card. I could have saved over $100.

2. I ran their Win TV application and finally got it to run. The program identifies two tuner cards and you must UNCHECK one of them or it will never work.
3. Also in running Win TV the output is 720 , I will never see 1020... and their is no sound....

Video Sound Card: ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe Sound Card XONAR HDAV 1.3 DELUXE PCIE HDMI W/ AUDIO CARD : It has a mind of its own. I cannot figure out whether it will record the internet or cable programs. For technical support, I called Ansus (see above) and have left 2 messages

4. In trying to update drivers the vender sites link you to another site where you can spend $29.95 to get software to scan and download drivers and updates.

In closing, I am very knowledgeable on computers and software. Some tips:

> All hardware and the dirves must be vista cetified Vista if that exists)
?. Ask the vneod can I record and watch cable TV shows. ( whya re there digital recorders that can do this)

> Check out the vendor support and see if it is easly accessable.
> Remember the PC World CNET reviewers write puff pieces.

The good news is that i used a local company and they have a 3 year warranty. They will order and make it good.

If you have any useful help, feel free to repsond.

I am almost at the point of saying Buy a Mac...

SilverGreek

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I'm in the process of building a new HTPC myself.

I'm using this chassis:
http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1147&ID=1432#Tab0

Thermaltake Mozart VC4000 Case + Thermaltake A2331 MediaLab + Remote Control + Thermaltake W0121Ru 600W Power Supply

ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz CPU
ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe Sound Card
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB Graphics Card

LG Super Multi Blue BD/HD DVD Combo Drive x 2
Western Digital 1TB SATA HDD x 4 (RAID 5)
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM x 4
Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G PCI Card

I'm not as much into TV right now.

Hopefully I will get it to work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis