HTPC Audio - Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
I am curious if there is a tutorial for setting up the Xonar to work with TotalMedia Theater 3 or Media PLayer Classic? I am new to this and don't know too much on the subject just yet. I have sound, but my Onkyo always just reads PCM and I have it on Multichannel. I never see other modes appear on the Onkyo such at DTS or Dolby True HD. Is this because I am watching .mkv stripped down files? When I look in TMT3 I always see the audio is listed as 2 channel for everything, never more. I just wonder whether I have my setting wrong or if it's kust the files I have chosen to play? Is there a file online I can download and play that would tell me if those other setting were working or not? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sam

HTPC
ASUS M3N78-VM 4GB memory
Windows 7 32 bit
Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

How is the Xonar connected? Which model Onkyo?

Do you have any native Blu-Ray source?

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
The Xonar is connected ....

HTPC DVI video out to Xonar HDMI in
Xonar HDMI out to Onkyo TX-SA607 CBL/SAT HDMI IN port

No native Blu Ray source, no BR drive in the HTPC as of yet.

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
My Xonar setting are the same as this screenshot
http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/XonarSetti_fdb1ec53b1b794f1d5

My TMT 3.140 settings are the same as this screenshot
http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/TMT3Settin_83890e1f73ee5299007

If I play my Godfather 1 or 2 DVDs through WMC, WMC Classic, or TMT3 all the Onkyo shows on its display is PCM Multichannel HDMI Audessey (top row)

CBL Multichannel (2nd row)

I can see from the settings that this DVD should be in Dolby Digital (Godfather 1) and #2 is AC3, but I never get those to show up on the Onkyo. Do I need to change any settings on my HTPC, Motherboard, BIOS, etc... ANy help would be appreciated! Thanks.
-Sam

jinjuku

jinjuku

Do you have a DVD drive in the computer? Put in a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS mastered DVD and see what the display on your Onkyo reads out as.

Also, if you can take a photo of the display on your Onk and post it when playing those sources.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is your OS?

Vista?

Is Audio on the OS set to Speakers?

Xonar: Set to HDMI audio 5.1 -- correct

TMT3 - set to HDMI Pass Thru -- correct.

And is the movie soundtrack set to DD/DTS?

And you have the latest firmware for the Xonar, right?

Can you bitstream anything to the Onkyo using that same exact HDMI connection?

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
I have tried all of the setting recommended to me thus far and to no avail. When I use these settings I get sound, but no readout as far as DTS, DOLBY Digital, etc on the Onkyo. Here are screenshots of the settings and a jpg from the Onkyo showing just (PCM Multichannel HDMI Audessey)

SPDIF settings and Windows 7 Audio settings

Speaker properties

CCCP codec settings pt 1

pt 2

Like I said earlier, I am quite new to this stuff and it has really given me quite the stiff neck in just week 1! When I play any files with Xonar in HDMI mode and the Speakers set as default I get sound, but only (PCM Multichannel HDMI Audessey) listed on the Onkyo even when I played a Dolby Digital DVD from the drive and selected Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

If I switch the Xonar over to SPDIF my Onkyo shows more option on the upper panel such as PLII or Dolby Digital, but I get no sound whatsoever from my speakers. I am assuming this is because I don't have any SPDIF cables installed. I am just running the DVI-HDMI frrom the M3N78-VM motherboard to the Xonar HDMI in and the another HDMI cable from the XONAR HDMI out to the Onkyo's CBL/SAT HDMI in.

What is my next step?

On a side note when I go into Win 7 speakers and test my system it doesn't recognize my sub at all. Don't know why.

HTPC
ASUS M3N78-VM 4GB memory
Windows 7 32 bit
Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, the Asus Speakers setting (OS) goes with the HDMI audio (Xonar).

The SPDIF Pass-thru device (OS) goes with the SPDIF (Xonar).

If you use the SPDIF, why is it set to PCM on the Xonar?

Another thing is that I have never used the Asus Xonar on Windows 7, so I don't know.

All I can say is that my blu-ray movie playback does not work on Windows 7 - kept on crashing.

Last edited:
S

samhfoley

Audioholic
problem solved...

I stupidly did not change my Onkyo input settings from the old DVD player that was running to it prior to my HTPC. Once I reassigned just the HDMI from the HTPC to the Onkyo I can bitstream true HD files through TMT3. Woohoo!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I stupidly did not change my Onkyo input settings from the old DVD player that was running to it prior to my HTPC. Once I reassigned just the HDMI from the HTPC to the Onkyo I can bitstream true HD files through TMT3. Woohoo!
You Da Man.

Only a select few have experienced TrueHD & DTS-HD bitstream via HTPC.:D

No big deal in the blu-ray world because anybody can get that with most blu-ray players. But in the HTPC world, it's a different story.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis