HTIB multiple-component set-up

J

Jfredrix

Audiophyte
I am in the throws of putting together my first Home Theatre system. I am waiting for delivery of my new, Toshiba 52HM84. For a number of reasons (wife factor & budget), I need to keep everything else in the room small & good looking. I have pretty much narrowed my HTIB choices down to the Sony HT-6800DP and the new, Yamaha DVX-S650. I personally like the Yamaha, but it poses a set-up problem.

The unit has no cd/dvd changer, which is OK for movies, but not OK for music. So, I'd like to hook up my legacy Kenwood CD changer as well, along with a VCR. I'm not sure I can do that given the specs of this system. The only other things I'll have hooked up are the Toshiba TV and my Motorola DVR (Comcast's TIVO-equivalent). I'm pretty much a neophyte and I don't want to pull the trigger on the DVX-S650 if I can't somehow get everything going. In that case, I'll need to move on to a HTIB set-up that includes a changer. My wife won't tolerate the Onkyo's look, so I'm leaning towards the Sony-HT6800DP.

Here are the A/V specs for the Yamaha and a link to a description of the system. The Receiver is the DVR-S150.

Video Connections:
• 2 Video Inputs
• S-Video Output
• Component Video Output
Audio Connections:
• 2 Audio Inputs and 1 Output
• 2 Optical Digital Outputs
Here is the full description of the HTIB system: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/DVX_S650_1.htm

Here is the manual for the receiver: http://www.yamaha-hifi.com/productstech.php?idcat1=3&idcat2=37&lang=e&idcat3=60&idprod=1190&archivset=&newsset=

Any help is appreciated!

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Hook ups

I have a Yamaha HTIB in my master bedroom. The inputs are the same as the model you are looking at. I have a CD changer and a VCR running through the receiver. I wouldn't think this would be a problem for you. I have been very happy with the system as it is being used. Good Luck.

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Hook Ups

After looking at the manual I still think it will work. Connect the VCR as shown in the manual and use the RCA jacks in the audio inputs section labled Video for your CD. If your CD has optical out you could use the optical input. To play your CD player you will probably have to select video 1 or video 2. That's how mine is set up and it works fine.

J

Jfredrix

Audiophyte
Thanks for checking it out for me. I have decided to go with the HT-6800DP anyway. I must be getting older because I'm choosing the long-term relationship possibilities over the allure of a one-night stand. The Sony just has more receiver power, a better DVD (with changer), more features, and more flexibility for the future. But if you come across this thread looking for opinions about the Yamaha DVX-650, I can tell you it was hard overcoming the temptation!

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
I was looking at buying the toshiba, hows the tv working out?

Chris

J

Jfredrix

Audiophyte
Cbecker,

I really like the Toshiba so far. I have had no problems with anything and the picture is great and set-up was relatively easy. I am having a couple of lingering set-up issues relating to my VCR that I haven't really tried to resolve yet becasue I'm replacing that VCR. But that's my lack of know-how and not due to the Toshiba.

I do have a couple of suggestions/observations. First, becasue the TV has speakers at the side of the screen, it is wider than similar DLPs that do not. I actually like the "shape" better (more rectangular than square), but it has contributed to a problem. My wife has decided I need to hide this beast in an A/V armoire. Well, a couple of manufacturers are now making these big enough to house most 50" DLPs. But the extra width of the Toshiba (it is about 58.5" wide) makes it too wide to fit in any A/V armoire that I have been able to find. So, we have to get one built to the tune of about $3,200. OUCH! I keep telling myself, "it's a great piece of furniture that we can keep forever"!

Second observation - if you have an entire Home Theatre set-up, get a good all-in-one remote. I got the Logitech Harmony H659. It is sweeet! Everything now operates off of one remote, and did so from the very first download. It even configured my Comcast DVR/cable box, which is a brand new unit manufactured by Motorola. The programming capabilities of the Harmony are great, and I'm sure there's a lot more it can do that I'll figure out over time.

Anyway, I would give the Toshiba a "strong buy". By the way, I took a bit of a risk and bought it off of Amazon.com. But I only paid $2,200-something, including shipping. I saved about $1,000 off of the Circuit City price (including tax). And, so far, no regrets....

Good luck!

Last edited:
cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Excellent, thank you for the response. The A/V furniture is not a problem, I plan on putting it on a low table.

Good recommendation on the remote! I was looking at getting an all in one and have read great things about the harmony.

-chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis