HTD Level 3 Bookshelf

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I am looking to possibly replace my Wave Crest HVL-1's L/C/R and am looking for a more dynamic loudspeaker for HT use and think these may fit the bill. I am not looking to spend a lot of money and would like to keep it under $450. If I purchase the L/R level 3's, I would purchase the matching CC. Any thoughts on these, would they be a step up in dynamics for HT use?

Thanks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My guess is that these would be more of a lateral move vs. a huge upgrade.

Typically, "dynamics" and "bookshelf speaker" are somewhat mutually exclusive.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Based on the provided specs, the difference is pretty marginal between those two options.

I can think of at least one option that's both in your budget and that brings appreciably more dynamic range, although it requires some input on your part (mad skillz w/ glue and clamps, and at least novice soldering skills...if that doesn't sound too intimidating, click here).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you are asking whether they are more dynamic than the Ascend Sierra's, I doubt that very much. If you want to beat the Ascend Sierras in dynamic range, that will be very difficult to do for under $450, probably impossible. The Volt 6 linked to by ski2xblack is your best bet.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking to possibly replace my Wave Crest HVL-1's L/C/R and am looking for a more dynamic loudspeaker for HT use and think these may fit the bill. I am not looking to spend a lot of money and would like to keep it under $450. If I purchase the L/R level 3's, I would purchase the matching CC. Any thoughts on these, would they be a step up in dynamics for HT use?
They offer free return shipping for first time buyers -- they have some punch and dynamics and can get loud and throw a wide soundstage -- however, some people will consider them a little laid back.

For $450 for front left and right -- I would look into something like the JBL Studio 230

If you have some DIY skills -- then check into that option

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
If you are asking whether they are more dynamic than the Ascend Sierra's, I doubt that very much. If you want to beat the Ascend Sierras in dynamic range, that will be very difficult to do for under $450, probably impossible. The Volt 6 linked to by ski2xblack is your best bet.
I was talking about my Wave Crest HVL's, not the Sierra towers in my signature

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
They offer free return shipping for first time buyers -- they have some punch and dynamics and can get loud and throw a wide soundstage -- however, some people will consider them a little laid back.

For $450 for front left and right -- I would look into something like the JBL Studio 230

If you have some DIY skills -- then check into that option
Studio 230's are more dynamic than the Level 3's and HVL's?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Studio 230's are more dynamic than the Level 3's and HVL's?
The best way to come to a conclusion is to do some testing in your room -- maybe buy both and send the loser back.

I would keep an eye on the JBL.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis