HT System Upgrade Front (B&W) vs 5.1.2 (Musiccast 20 wireless and upward firing atmos) Upgrade Path

T

tribesdude

Audiophyte
Hello everyone! It has been like 5 years since I have set up my budget home theater system and I am now looking to upgrade it a little bit. My current setup is the following:
Front: Pioneer FS SP52
Center: Pioneer SP C22
Subwoofer: Jbl ES250P
Receiver: Denon S500BT

The room it will be setup is the living room (1br apartment, small to medium size living room I guess). The ceiling is probably 8-10 feet high and it's a popcorn ceiling. The couch is around 6 feet away from the TV/speaker setup. TV is setup next to den/sunroom with window door that slides (not sure if any of this matters but just in case haha).
The center was a super recent impulse addition admittedly (saw it on sale for 70ish and figured why not). Main use of setup is for movies/TV shows and video games. In terms of the type of sound I like, I think I prefer brighter sound (but not too harsh/fatiguing). To give you an idea, I love my studio monitors (jbl lsr305) and out of the different headphones I have my favorite are either the akg k7xx or the fostex th-x00.

Initially I was thinking of upgrading to a 5.1.2 system but am now having second thoughts and thinking of maybe just upgrading the front and center, but not sure. Wanted to get some thoughts.

I were to upgrade fronts I was thinking of getting the B&W 606 Bookshelf (can get them for half the price) and the B&W HMT6 (also half price). Was thinking whether its worth moving down to the Bookshelf from my Fs52 towers (the B&W 602 towers are probably not an option, a bit pricey and may be a hassle to get). But not sure if this would be worth the upgrade.

My other option would be moving to a 5.1.2 and I was thinking of the following:
Receiver: Yamaha Rx a780

Rear: Yamaha Musiccast 20 (I need wireless rears, I can't do wired as place is a rental and can't run wires through floor, and frankly gf would not like wires running on ceiling so limited here).

Atmos: One of the following:
Elac Debut A4.2 up firing (leaning towards these)
Pioneer SP T22A
Klipch R 41SA
Klipsch Rp 500SA
SVS Elevation Prime.

In terms of the atmos speakers, two things. First is that I can not currently mount them on the wall so they need to be upward firing (it being a rental and gf factor). Second is that in the case of the Klipsch and the SVS, I would use them as upward firing and put them on top of my tower, but the issue is they would be overhanging and I am not certain whether that may lead to a problem or decrease in quality, not sure if it's a good idea. Reason I was potentially consider the klipsch or svs was that I could use them as upward firing now and later down the line when I live in a place where I can mount them on the wall, was thinking I may then be able to mount (without having to buy another set). Anyway any thoughts on these atmos ones as well?

Anyways, what do you guys think about these options or do you have any suggestions? Any thoughts on which upgrade oath is a better idea (front vs surround) and also on the specific products mentioned?

Thank you!

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Personally I’d pass on Atmos until you’re in a position where you can get some in-ceiling speakers. But if you’re determined, I’d make sure any upfiring option you go with has a generous return policy. That way you can try it out and see if it’s worthwhile.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis