HT system that performs well well with music

S

Sasha

Audiophyte
I noticed that quite a few people were facing the same dilemma as I did, is there an HT system that would perform well with music, since I will be doing let’s say 80% music and 20% movies.
Here is my experience.
First I established a reference for 2 channel system, auditioned speakers with various integrated amps and CD players.
In the end I arrived to a conclusion that the best performance within my initial budged would be the following configuration:
B&W 704 – any lower model did not cut it, nor did other manufacturers in that price range.
Rotel RA 1062 – although it may be arguably too week for mentioned speakers (2X60W), the power of Rotel is really conservatively rated, and I found that it was quite capable of driving 704’s, sounded good at low volume as well and did not lose its composure at higher volume (the one I will not exceed anyway).
Although let’s say the new integrated Bryston B100 SST does the better job, I did not find justification to go with it considering much higher price.
Rotel RCD 1072 HDCD player – excellent performance and unbeatable for the price.

Then I turned to A/V receivers to find out if I can get similar performance with 704’s on 2 channels, as compared to Rotel 1062.
Used the same source, same cables, same room.
Auditioned Yamaha RXV-2500, Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi, and Rotel RXS-1056, they did not match the sound of Rotel 1062.

In the end I concluded that for the matching performance I would have to spend a big buck and go with some more exotic separates.
So I decided to go with RA 1062 for my music, and later on get some less expensive A/V receiver (e.g. Yamaha RXV-1500 and below), matching center speaker and low end rear ones for my movies, considering that movies are all about artifically enhanced sound and effects.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis