HT Sound vs. TV Speakers

How often do you watch TV using your receiver for Audio?

• 100% (Receiver Sound baby 24/7!)

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • 75-99% (nearly all the time)

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 50-74% (most of the time)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25-49% (depends on the show)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • under 25% (rarely)

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
charmed101 said:
Could I hook the towers to the zone 2 hookup ? thus giving me power just to the towers for the TV ? I'm not very up on electronics, so I thought I would ask before doing something that I shouldn't.
Thanks to anyone with any help !!
Yes you can. If your tv or cable box is hooked up to the receiver via analog cables, you can get its sound in zone 2 and it will be stereo only.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have to use my AVR because I'm using it as the source switchbox (DishNetwork, DVD, Playstation2, CD player). But I only listen in stereo for TV. I don't like the pro*logic effects.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
As with others - everything I have is connected to my receiver. It also is noteworthy that my receiver is 50 feet from my family room and the cable box and most other gear is in the basement. So, the single video runs to the plasma/projector are enough to deal with.

Turning on/off is all handled via a Crestron control system so it is a one touch operation to turn on the receiver, plasma, etc. No need to use the cheap speakers even if I wanted to.

My sub is set to auto though - it powers off after about 5 minutes of non-use.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My TV allows me to turn the speakers off. Since they got turned off a year or so ago, they have stayed that way. Turning them on is unthinkable.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I agree with Annunaki, I didn't know my TV had speakers.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Most of the TV I watch is History or Discovery channel like programming. Not very good audio on most educational/documenty or car oriented shows.
I watch the Discovery and History channels quite a bit as well. Many of their shows actually have pretty good audio.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
This is pretty much what I suspected. I just wanted to let everyone else out there that they aren't alone!!!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mulester7 said:
.....interesting read from the link below, imo....WmAx, I'll want your opinion on this one....and a question, WmAx....I want to run the stereo signals through the McIntosh pre-amp first, then to the processor....can this be done?]
Yes.

-Chris

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
markw said:
Unless the show is musical in nature or a "worthy" show* I don't bother with the receiver. It's a waste of effort.

For movies, well, that's another story. For them I always use the receiver.

*Smallville
Same here... nice to see some shows shows in DD 5.1 :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
For my system, it would take MORE effort to use the tv alone. The tv speakers have been OFF for the last 8 years and I would have to go into the menu system and turn them back on.

I have it setup where I have a 'home' state. Because I watch cable the majority of the time, I have one button (ON) on the remote that turns on the tv and receiver and sets the receiver to the video 2 input where the cable box is connected. I then have another macro that can switch to dvd with a single button press. I also have another macro that will put me back to cable when I am in any other state. The HTM remotes make setting this up a piece of cake.

I don't consider one button press for on and two button presses for off (have to press 'main' to get back to the main screen first) to be too much effort. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis