HT room pics .. will STF-2 be enough?

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
I was going to save for a bigger sub, but STF-2 at $319 is very tempting since my A/V budget is about $600 for a Sub and receiver. The room is 15x15. The ceiling angles at 7ft and flattens out at 9ft so it's definitly less than 2500 cu ft I was hoping to put the sub in the corner behind the plant. There's a small opening to the hallway, opposite corner of where i'd put the sub. I'll be adding a mid-line refurb H/K receiver later this month.

I have little kids so I wouldn't be watching movies that loud at night anyway, but it would be nice to have some wow factor in reserve for demo material. I also listen to a lot of music in there. You think STF-2 fits this description?

after12.jpg

after13.jpg

after15.jpg

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
For "wow" factor LFE's you would probably need two STF-2s in that size room. For music I think one would probably be OK unless you really want to crank it. I own an VTF-2 in about 3000 cf so I have some experience here with the Hsu subs. Also, since subs are very location sensitive, the corner may be a problem for music. Way too boomy for my tastes. I had to move it from the corner and add a bass trap for decent music reproduction.

Nick

P

Peter Marcks

Banned
Dear mkinder,

The STF-2 would be great for a room that size, or even up to around 3000 ft^3. Opportunity cost to purchase the unit is also very low, due to the relatively low cost of shipping, as well as the rock bottom price with the large discount right now. Let us know if you need any placement and setup recommendations, no matter what you choose.

Sincerely,

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Doesn't look too big. An STF-2 would make some noise. I have a DPS-12 in a16x12 room, and it's loud enough.

I say STF-2! :)

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a VTF-2 in a room larger than that, it should do fine.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Off topic, but I really like how your TV is recessed into the wall.

What kind of speakers are those?

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
The guy who lived here before us had his 65" Sony recessed back into the wall like that. This 62" mitsu isn't an exact fit but it's not enough to make me re-do the cavity.

The speakers are DCM Monitor series CX-27's. I got them at Circuit City 15 yrs ago, they've literally been used almost everyday since. Really a great speaker .. smooth highs and pretty punchy for 6.5 driver. Very easy to listen to. They've been paired with the same H/K 3600 since I bought them, but now it's time to add a sub and get a modern AVR. I'll keep the DCM's as mains and build around them until they give up on me.

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
I ordered the STF-2 today and then picked up a clearance rx-v657 today at Tweeter for 275.

I'll let you know how it all sounds next week, thanks.

M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
Update -

I got the Yamaha receiver last week and tried it out for a couple days before the sub arrived. I preferred the sound of my old H/K so I returned the Yamaha and ordered an H/K 335 which gets here on Monday. I'm hoping the sound from my old receiver will still be there on the new H/K. I'm afraid the the do-it-all AVRs may have lost the rich, airy sound i've enjoyed the last 15 years.

Until then, I've got the STF-2 connected to my old H/K which has an analog subwoofer output on the back. I can certainly tell the difference, but I still have to run all the DVD's in Dolby 2.0 if the option exists. I'm Looking forward to getting the 335 so I can see if there's more bass on the dedicated LFE channels.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis