M

mark709

Audiophyte
I've been reading the reviews and other posts for several weeks and I have to admit that I'm not getting anywhere on my HT refresh project. I've recently moved from a large room to a small 11x13 room and my old school gear is getting tired and it's too big. The only piece that I am keeping is my Yamaha rxv2500. The TV has to go and my old speakers are waaay to big.

I'm leaning toward a 40" LCD mounted on the wall with an articulating arm. I have a fair amount of natural light to deal with so I think Plasma is too reflective for my taste. I like the Sony KDL-v40xbr1 and the Samsung lns4095d. I've looked at them both at 2 different stores and they both looked different each time. I'm going to try another store soon. I expect that 60% of what I watch will be SD and 40% hidef or dvd.

My choices on speakers are much less refined. I have a small space, but I want upper end sound. I have close neighbors, so I can't go with massive bass. One local shop recommended Paradigm's cinema 110CT and they sounded ok, but didn't make me reach for my wallet. The RBH CT series gets good reviews, but I can't listen before I buy. Same is true with the Rocket sub and Axiom bookshelf setup. Budget for speakers needs to be $1000-$1300.
What's everyone think? What tv and speakers is most suited for such a small room for under $4k total?
Thanks,
Mark

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
In your price range, I'd go with an Onix X-Series setup for the mains, center, and surrounds, and upgrade to a bigger sub or use two x-subs. I think that the 5.0 setup for the x-series is approximately 550-600 plus shipping and you can then spend the rest on another or two subs. See the X-LS review on audioholics and everyone else who has posted re: how much they love them!!!! (Me included). They do come with a 30 day money back guarantee (minus shipping)

Hope this helps

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
I will second the opinion on the speakers, and heck only having to spend half of what you expect on the speakers will net you a better tv right? I am using my X-LS in a 12x18 room and they easily fill the room with sound.

I just put a pre-order in for the X-CS due Sep 12, its a mere $129 and looks like it will be a winner too.

As for subs, if not the X-sub maybe the small HSU?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis