HSU VTF-TN1 vs. ULS-15 MK2

S

Soriku

Audiophyte
Hi all. I've had a Monolith THX 12" subwoofer for 5+ years but I'm looking to try something else. I've always been aware of HSU but the new TN1 really caught my eye and was dead-set on it being my upgrade, but lately I've been watching Matt Poe's videos on YouTube and I know he's a pretty big proponent of sealed subs. This new video of his in particular is making me question if I should go for the TN1 or try their sealed ULS-15 MK2:

My living room is 19W x 13L x 8H with walls on all sides except there's an opening that leads to the dining room. I'm looking for just one sub in the room right now. At most I'd likely get a second sub down the line, but not any more than that. I listen to mixed content; movies, music, video games, TV / Youtube. Also, if I were to get the TN1, the ports would be downfiring on hardwood.

Frankly I think I'd be happy with either as I don't crank the volume too much but I'm looking to make the best choice (buy once cry once) and I do want to make sure I have enough output across the frequency range including below 20hz.

The TN1 appeals to me since it's their latest and greatest 2024 model with a nicer warranty, and the ULS is older but maybe the ULS is plenty and with benefits being that it's sealed, lighter/smaller, and a bit cheaper. If they were coming out with a new MK3 I'd probably anticipate that.

Appreciate any insight and what you guys would purchase in my situation.

Last edited:
S

Soriku

Audiophyte
Also if I get the TN1 I was likely to run it in 1 port mode for max extension.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Go with the TN. You would lose low end output compared with you current sub if you went with the ULS.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi all. I've had a Monolith THX 12" subwoofer for 5+ years but I'm looking to try something else. I've always been aware of HSU but the new TN1 really caught my eye and was dead-set on it being my upgrade, but lately I've been watching Matt Poe's videos on YouTube and I know he's a pretty big proponent of sealed subs. This new video of his in particular is making me question if I should go for the TN1 or try their sealed ULS-15 MK2:

My living room is 19W x 13L x 8H with walls on all sides except there's an opening that leads to the dining room. I'm looking for just one sub in the room right now. At most I'd likely get a second sub down the line, but not any more than that. I listen to mixed content; movies, music, video games, TV / Youtube. Also, if I were to get the TN1, the ports would be downfiring on hardwood.

Frankly I think I'd be happy with either as I don't crank the volume too much but I'm looking to make the best choice (buy once cry once) and I do want to make sure I have enough output across the frequency range including below 20hz.

The TN1 appeals to me since it's their latest and greatest 2024 model with a nicer warranty, and the ULS is older but maybe the ULS is plenty and with benefits being that it's sealed, lighter/smaller, and a bit cheaper. If they were coming out with a new MK3 I'd probably anticipate that.

Appreciate any insight and what you guys would purchase in my situation.
I have a lot of experience with both subs, and I also have a lot of experience with the dreaded Dr. Poes. I would go for the VTF-TN1. But not just to spite Matthew. It will give you a lot more clean deep bass than its sealed counterpart.

S

Soriku

Audiophyte
I have a lot of experience with both subs, and I also have a lot of experience with the dreaded Dr. Poes. I would go for the VTF-TN1. But not just to spite Matthew. It will give you a lot more clean deep bass than its sealed counterpart.
Dreaded Dr. Poes...lol. But thanks for the insight. I'm definitely leaning on the TN1 which I really liked your review of.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I expected your preference for the VTF-TN1. It seems like a Killer Sub. (I wish I could afford it.)

Matt34

Matt34

One sub in a semi open living room, ported would be my pick. I prefer sealed for the same general reasons as Poe, but in your case the TN-1 makes more sense to get adequate extension and output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis