Hsu VTF-2/3 compare to which SVS subs.

M

Maximo

Enthusiast
I don't have the luxury to do comparisons like some of you guys. I've read a lot and can only find sporadic comparisons. Would matching prices be an accurate way of comparing them? The VTF-2 falls in between the pb10-isd and the pb12-isd. The pb10 being closer in price and woofer size, it seems that these would compete with one another. The VTF-3 compares in price to the PB12-ISD/V. I guess that I have a hard time thinking that the Hsu subs only compare to the "low end" SVS subs. I would really like to know the performance difference between them. Any info will be appreciated. Can someone also give me a link to some charts showing the range and spl of these subs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The VTF-2's closest would be the PB-10, but the PB-10 easily goes lower than the VTF-2. I had them both at the same time, and for the price, I'd go with the PB-10. The VTF-2 is an excellent sub, but the PB-10 has enough extra to edge it out IMHO, and it costs less too.

The VTF-3 would likely be closest to the ISD/V as you mentioned. I know of one comparison of the PB-12 to the STF-3 and the PB-12 came out on top, but I think the VTF-3 might edge out the PB-12, but the ISD/V might be a closer match. Either should sufficiently impress most people.

How big is your room?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia, if I recall reading correctly from way back, you had a relatively older VTF-2, right?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, v1. The MkII still doesn't have the capability of the PB-10 below 25Hz. Above 25Hz they will be very, very close.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I would hope and expect some improvment from the VTF-2MK1 and VTF-2MK2.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The driver was a new version and the amp's power was increased which resulted in more output, but the cabinet was tuned exactly the same so I doubt there will be a change in the low end extension. It is still listed as 25Hz in max extension mode.

M

Maximo

Enthusiast
j_garcia said:
The VTF-2's closest would be the PB-10, but the PB-10 easily goes lower than the VTF-2. I had them both at the same time, and for the price, I'd go with the PB-10. The VTF-2 is an excellent sub, but the PB-10 has enough extra to edge it out IMHO, and it costs less too.

The VTF-3 would likely be closest to the ISD/V as you mentioned. I know of one comparison of the PB-12 to the STF-3 and the PB-12 came out on top, but I think the VTF-3 might edge out the PB-12, but the ISD/V might be a closer match. Either should sufficiently impress most people.

How big is your room?
I currently don't have a room to put it in. I'm in an apartment and plan to move in a house within the next year so I'm just continuing my on going research.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
The driver was a new version and the amp's power was increased which resulted in more output, but the cabinet was tuned exactly the same so I doubt there will be a change in the low end extension. It is still listed as 25Hz in max extension mode.
I was thinking that sound quality probably got better too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
silversurfer said:
I was thinking that sound quality probably got better too.
I don't know, the first one already sounded pretty good :)

Maximo, If you don't know what size your room will be, it is going to be tough to pick the right sub for it, but a VTF-3 or ISD/V should be able to handle most decent size rooms.

M

Maximo

Enthusiast
j_garcia said:
I don't know, the first one already sounded pretty good :)

Maximo, If you don't know what size your room will be, it is going to be tough to pick the right sub for it, but a VTF-3 or ISD/V should be able to handle most decent size rooms.
I'm not necessarily trying to pick out of these exact subs. Although, these are definitly subs that will be on my list. I'm simply trying to educate myself. If I think of a question and a search doesn't give me the answer, I ask it on forums. Thanks for the replys so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis