How to set up Crowson Actuators with Mini DSP and Behringer NX6000D?

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
I'm wondering if anyone knows has any tips on how to set up Crowson Actuators?

I have three actuators, a Behringer NX6000D, and my Denon X4400 receiver. I also have my couch setup on a 1" plywood platform with the 1" hudson feet.

Edit: Looks like I also need to buy a Mini DSP 2x4 HD so I can use BEQ.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What specific question are you asking? The manual for all of your products pretty well defines how to use them and set them up. I'm not sure how many here are using actuators or bass shakers on their furniture. Not a ton from what I've read over the years.

But, the LFE output of your Denon into the amplifier to run things. The fact that their single 600 watt amplifier is designed to power up to three actuators indicates that you have a lot more power than these things need to operate smoothly. I would be somewhat cautious about how much power you are giving them, but this should be detailed in their manual.

I've not used the BEQ/Mini DSP product, but there are some who are raving about it. It doesn't seem out of the world complex to setup either.

So, it really comes down to if you are asking for more specifics of setup for those using such a setup, or if you have something that you can't figure out at this point.

You certainly don't need the DSP or BEQ at all if you don't want it. It is just there to enhance movie soundtracks.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, and yeah I'm mostly stuck on how to configure the settings in the NX Edit software. Like what do I set the delay to, or the peak limiter, high/low pass, and what not.

Also after your comment I think I'll put off the miniDSP and BEQ for now.

1643158682743.png

1643158699347.png

Right now I have the denon sub 2 out going into the amp, and plan on putting 2 actuators on channel A, and the third on channel B. From what I read the sub should handle everything above 40hz, and the actuators handle everything below 40hz.

Pretty much the software setup is what I'm stuck on

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure what sub you are using, but if the subwoofer isn't on it's own DSP, then it will get a mirrored output of the LFE subwoofer output from the AVR. So, that's what it will be playing.

If you want to adjust what is going out of channels A&B on the amp using the internal DSP of the amp, then you want to turn on the low pass filter on both channels and then set the frequency to 40hz and adjust your slope as it feels appropriate to the room. I'm not sure if the curve is fixed on the amp or not.

You should see a curve that ends up looking something like this, and you should adjust it to your liking...
Low Pass Filter.PNG

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
I'm using a HSU VTH-15H MK2, and planning on getting a second down the line.

I thinking it probably doesn't matter if the sub is mirroring it? And once I get a miniDSP I can change it. Or maybe hook the sub up to the amp as well, run the actuators off channel A, and the subs off channel B. I'd need to see if one channel can support 3 actuators though

And I got a slope kind of like yours now, so now with it like this, the actuators won't start kicking in until around 50hz, but I won't feel it until about 40hz.

1643210300760.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm wondering if anyone knows has any tips on how to set up Crowson Actuators?

I have three actuators, a Behringer NX6000D, and my Denon X4400 receiver. I also have my couch setup on a 1" plywood platform with the 1" hudson feet.

Edit: Looks like I also need to buy a Mini DSP 2x4 HD so I can use BEQ.

Their website shows "AmplifierWe highly recommend: the Crowson D501 Amplifier. Third party amplifiers may work to power the two (2) Shadow-8 Actuaors but require the addition of a Bass Management Pre-Amplifier. We recommend a DEDICATED amplifier that can produce 50 to 500 Watts per channel with an 8 ohm load. It is also useful to have volume or gain control and line level pass throughs."

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm using a HSU VTH-15H MK2, and planning on getting a second down the line.

I thinking it probably doesn't matter if the sub is mirroring it? And once I get a miniDSP I can change it. Or maybe hook the sub up to the amp as well, run the actuators off channel A, and the subs off channel B. I'd need to see if one channel can support 3 actuators though
The sub should be getting fed directly off the LFE output of the receiver so it is playing the full LFE range and then you can use the setup of the receiver to tweak the crossover frequency (low pass) which the subwoofer is using. The slope looks reasonable on what you posted, and it really depends on what you are happy with. I would use test material that is known to have good bass response to see if you are happy with it, or if you want a bit more frequency response from the units you have.

I honestly never considered using anything to further tweak the audio which will be going to my bass shakers that I have, but I will keep that in mind as potential consideration.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Their website shows "AmplifierWe highly recommend: the Crowson D501 Amplifier. Third party amplifiers may work to power the two (2) Shadow-8 Actuaors but require the addition of a Bass Management Pre-Amplifier. We recommend a DEDICATED amplifier that can produce 50 to 500 Watts per channel with an 8 ohm load. It is also useful to have volume or gain control and line level pass throughs."
This is certainly one of my only concerns here. The amplifier he has is FAR more power than these modules are designed to work with and the OP needs to ensure that he keeps the power in line with the expectations of the actuators. But, it is more power than needed, and won't be underpowering them for darn sure. In a proper setup, it seems like he could easily drive 10+ actuators at once off this amplifier.

I just have no idea how much actual quality this product has. The price is extremely low, but considering it is for tactile transducers and not actual speakers... May be a great way to run the show.

I've gotta get mine setup at some point, even if it is just a test run. Should be a lot of fun to try out.
I think I have 8 of the Aura units...

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
So are you saying I need to buy a pre-amp? Like a miniDSP? Or are you simply saying I shouldn't have bought the NX6000D?

The sub should be getting fed directly off the LFE output of the receiver so it is playing the full LFE range and then you can use the setup of the receiver to tweak the crossover frequency (low pass) which the subwoofer is using. The slope looks reasonable on what you posted, and it really depends on what you are happy with. I would use test material that is known to have good bass response to see if you are happy with it, or if you want a bit more frequency response from the units you have.

I honestly never considered using anything to further tweak the audio which will be going to my bass shakers that I have, but I will keep that in mind as potential consideration.
Ok cool, so I think I'm going to stick to that slope. And you have bass shakers too? I was reading that the delay of the actuators may be an issue. Like if I don't set the delay correctly, I may feel them before the bass is actually supposed to hit. But I guess I can tweak that as I go.

So next steps, I'm going to read the manual and see how to limit the power, so I don't break the actuators.

Also one side note. The reason I bought the NX6000D over the D-501 is basicially because I was reading on AVSForurm that others were using it, saying the D-501 is overpriced. So I bought the NX6000D. Maybe a noob mistake, but I am a noob

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Also one side note. The reason I bought the NX6000D over the D-501 is basicially because I was reading on AVSForurm that others were using it, saying the D-501 is overpriced. So I bought the NX6000D. Maybe a noob mistake, but I am a noob
I'm not sure how good/bad the D-501 is or how good those actuators are. I bought mine on a whim via Craigslist at a good price. I think I got them for about fifteen bucks each, mostly unused.

Anyway, I would wire them so you are only connected to channel 'A' of the Behringer, and so that you are only messing with a single input/output of the amplifier.

Yes, I can see how the delay may impact things ever so slightly. The same signal that drives your subwoofer is what is driving your actuators, so any audio delay required for the actuators will be just a few milliseconds. It won't be much.

AVS has a lot of enthusiasts doing their stuff. Unfortunately, you sometimes get stuck in the mud there as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis