How To Install an Immersive Surround Speaker Setup

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the very thorough article @TheoN ,

I am currently upgrading my Paradigm Reference Studio 100/60s 7.1 to a 7.2.4, and to keep the wife happy, I need to lose the rear bookshelf 60s, but will gain 2nd HSU VTF-15H MK2, Denon 6400 (my 4520 just died),and new projector;) Fair trade I think

Hence, I am looking at an all ceiling side / rear / top configuration, keeping the Studio 100/650 front 3 in tact.

I have a pair of in-box 'new' angled Paradigm In-Ceiling Reference Angled speakers I think would be best to replace rear bookshelves behind, at 6' behind main listening position lined up w front L/R.

Between your article, the Denon manual, I would then keep current sides (in ceiling DefTech UIWBP/A Bipolar),and then add 4 direct down firing JBL SP-8C amiable speakers in Atmos configuration (rear two outside and even w rear surround angled Paradigms, and front two symmetrical in front of side surrounds 6'.

My questions are: do you think the Atmos recommended symmetrical front top position (10' back from screen in 24' by 14'' room,) would be better than DTS front corners by screen for maximum future options (DD Surround, IMAX, DTS, and Auro3D)? Seating position is 16-18' back.

JBL speakers are 'new, never been used' in box, but have been stored in garage for 10 years as backup replacements for original whole house audio applications. Any worries on them wearing out as exposed to moderate to hot temperatures in Florida? Would I be able to see warning signs?

JBL Tweeters are amiable like your install, for top 4, did you aim straight down, or towards listener.

If not, what in ceilings would you recommend? I am thinking depth of Beale Streets are not workable as I have 3-4" of Roxul sound/fire insulation between floors.

I will run double HDMI, fiber optic, cat 6e, and also pre wire a God C speaker in middle of final top setup, and ceiling front center speaker; any other suggestions for future proofing?

2nd VTF sub will have to be front right of center inside FR, as current is front left center inside FL...would like to have behind seats, but WAF compromise.

Any suggestions / experience with/on Buttkickers?

Would moving Studio 60s to front height w external amp add much to this system? Would be behind curtains or screen which is not optimal.

Thanks for your help!
Best, Alec
If I follow you correctly your going to do an all
I/C atmos? I would save your money and not pursue Atmos unless you can properly place rear bed layer speakers.
I personally don’t like buttkickers, but it’s seems like crowson are the best motion actuators to get. But they are expensive.

B

Bolts38

Audiophyte
Dolby Atmos Setup plan picture attached--mainly looking whether someone has pro/cons of that setup vs four top corners...(picture next post).

Have to use bipolar side ceilings for sides as sliding glass doors all down right side

I already have all the speakers as bought them on clearance several years back for backups.

Only change from current mostly proper 7.1 setup (except sides), is rears will be moved to angled ceiling like Theo did in review above.

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The con would be that if your sides and rears are in the ceiling, and on the same plane atmos won’t work. Bed layer speakers need to be at or around seated ear height.
I will go and read Theos original post.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The con would be that if your sides and rears are in the ceiling, and on the same plane atmos won’t work. Bed layer speakers need to be at or around seated ear height.
I will go and read Theos original post.
I have an all in-ceiling 5.0 setup in my living room and while it sounds OK, I would never consider going higher than 5 ceiling channels if in-ceiling was my only option. It just doesn't sound right. Granted, I have a 5.1 setup in my office and a 7.2.4 Atmos setup in my theater so I can fully compare the differences.

Simple fact is that speakers (particularly the tweeter) should be at ear level in order to reproduce authentic sound. In-ceiling can sound good, mine does, but it's no comparison to my conventional systems.

You need to find (if you haven't already) an all in-ceiling setup you can listen to before you make the jump.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have an all in-ceiling 5.0 setup in my living room and while it sounds OK, I would never consider going higher than 5 ceiling channels if in-ceiling was my only option. It just doesn't sound right. Granted, I have a 5.1 setup in my office and a 7.2.4 Atmos setup in my theater so I can fully compare the differences.

Simple fact is that speakers (particularly the tweeter) should be at ear level in order to reproduce authentic sound. In-ceiling can sound good, mine does, but it's no comparison to my conventional systems.

You need to find (if you haven't already) an all in-ceiling setup you can listen to before you make the jump.
I totally agree. 5.1 I/C would be Ok, as a compromise. However there is no way to image into the room on XYZ coordinates when everything is on the same plane.

B

Bolts38

Audiophyte
Thanks...wondering what @TheoN thoughts are having the system in original post for a few years. I know it is not optimal, as I have a true 5.1 w hybrid sides making a 7.1...

I might be able to use SVS angled speakers for sides above windows for a 5.2.4.

@panteragstk are your speakers standard straight down firing, amiable tweeters, or angled speakers? Pro/Cons on each as I am planning on using angled / matched Paradigm to be hybrid rears, and amiable tweeter top fours per picture above.

B

Bolts38

Audiophyte
One other option I thought of, is to use current bookshelf speaker on stand in front of window for a side, but would have to use a mis matched in wall side on other side. I would never have normally gone mismatched, but speaker placements/tweeters re above would be perfect ear level...

If I can find a Paradigm in wall to match bookshelf 60, that might work.

I doubt WAF will go for bookshelf between window and sectional anyways...would be an eyesore

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks...wondering what @TheoN thoughts are having the system in original post for a few years. I know it is not optimal, as I have a true 5.1 w hybrid sides making a 7.1...

I might be able to use SVS angled speakers for sides above windows for a 5.2.4.

@panteragstk are your speakers standard straight down firing, amiable tweeters, or angled speakers? Pro/Cons on each as I am planning on using angled / matched Paradigm to be hybrid rears, and amiable tweeter top fours per picture above.
I am using speakers that let me aim the tweeters. I have them pointed at the MLP and have used Audyssey to dial everything in. Then used an SPL meter to get everything as perfect as I can.

It sounds fine, but nowhere near as good as my systems that have speakers at ear level.

B

Bolts38

Audiophyte
I am using speakers that let me aim the tweeters. I have them pointed at the MLP and have used Audyssey to dial everything in. Then used an SPL meter to get everything as perfect as I can.

It sounds fine, but nowhere near as good as my systems that have speakers at ear level.
Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis