How to hook up DVD to receiver

U

Unregistered

I have a older tv using a RF modulator.I bought monster cables to hook up
a x box to receiver and RF modulator,which gives me 2 chanel digital sound.
I use the fiber optic digital connection[DVD] slot on the receiver for audio
for the x box.I wanted to have digital 2 channel sound while watching
DVD.I bought a digital coaxial THX monster cable that goes from DVD into
receiver coaxial connection.But I dont get any sound from speakers while
using DVD.The red,white,yellow rca jacks from DVD go into RF mod.What
am I doing wrong,I would like to have sound through speakers,using DVD.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Slooooooooow down. Take a deeeeeeeeep breath.

I don't think I understood a word you said, but from what I THINK you said, I'll offer this advice.

First off, turn off all power to all device involved here. Never kerfutz around with this stuff while it's powered up. It might stop working. ...trust me on this.

Then, forget what you have going now. We're goin' back to page one. If you have any questions on how to do what I'm suggesting, refer to your owner's manual.

Unhook the RF mod from everything except for the 75 onhm cable going to the TV.

Now, we'll hook up your X box and DVD.

Run a digital audio connection (coax or toslink, it doesn't matter)from your X box to one of the available inputs on your receiver. Now run a video connection from the X box to the corrosponding input on your receiver.

Now, do exacty the same thing for the DVD that you did for the X box, but going to a different input on the receiver.

Now for that RF mod... connect the yellow composite video that would normally go from the receiver to the TV to the yellow jack on the RF mod. Do whatever you have to do to get a picture on the TV from these guys.

Yeah, I know the red/white to the RF Mod isn't hooked up yet. We'll worry about that later.

Make sure that the receiver "sees" both these devices. When that's done, use the receiver to "select" these devices and play something thru them. You should now be seeing the video from these on the TV and getting the "digital" sound from these devices thru the speakers that are connected to the receiver.

You've now got full functionality of your system for video and sound thru the receiver.

Now, we'll see about the red/white audio cables to the RF mod. Here's where it gets hazy....

Look carefully at the back of your receiver where the yellow cable that goes to the RF mod is. It's probably labeled "monitor" or some such nonesense.

Continue looking (or check the manual) for a pair of red/white audio jacks that corrospond to this. If you find them, hook them up to the red/white jacks on the RF modulator.

This should now feed whatever you select from the receiver to the Rf mod, and thru to the TV, both video and sound.

Hopefully, your receiver will allow you to mute the speakers (or you could turn it all the way down) when you want to hear thru the TVs speakers. The otherside of this coin is that you'll have to either mute the TV speakers when you don't want to hear 'em. ...either that or turn 'em all the way down.

If you can't find them or you don't have' em, then I dunno what else to tell ya short of saying that you'll have to hook up the red/white to the RF mod manually for whatever source you choose.

Again, learn to love your manuals. You're gonna need 'em. YMMV

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

markw said:
Make sure that the receiver "sees" both these devices. When that's done, use the receiver to "select" these devices and play something thru them.
This is key and is often a source of confusion. In order for your receiver to "see" the digital audio you have to tell it which input matches the digital audio; ie if you hook up the dvd player to video 1 and the digital audio from the dvd player to digital audio input 1 on the receiver, then you need to "assign" digital audio input 1 to video 1. Sometime this is done in a menu and sometimes there is a button labeled 'digital input' or the like.

If you follow mark's instructions, the digital audio from the dvd player goes to the receiver and the video goes to the receiver. The monitor out from the receiver goes to the rf modulator. You just need to get the analog audio to the rf modulator as well - do that by connecting the analog audio outs of the dvd player straight to the rf modulator.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Of course, I have a red/white analog connection from the DVD to my CD input, to make playing CD's easier for the others in the house.

Even though the DVD uses digital coax for the dd/dts audio signal, my Denon still feeds a 2 channel analog feed to my TV inputs when I've selected the DVD player. This may or may not be a function of what I mentioned in the above paragraph, but it's worth exploring.

If his unit does this as well, he's home free. That's why reading the manual is important.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your help.Problem has been solved.I lost my manual.My receiver
was not "seeing" the DVD.I pushed the input button several times.
Now if 2 channel digital sounds great,how much more does Dobly digital
surround sound??

louman

Audiophyte
i have a question. i have a marantz 6400 receiver and a toshiba dvd player. i tried to connect the dvd to the receiver to get digital audio. i changed the menu on the dvd for digital, but my receiver still out give me digital. do i need to change it on the receiver somewhere

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis