How to connect sub-woofer

H

hoops34sc

Audiophyte
My house is pre-wired and there are two coaxle cables that are for the subwoofer. However, I only have one RCA input on the sub. I know I need to get a connector to make this work, but I am confused with what to do with the 2 cables when I think there should only be one. How do I make this work?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
leave the second cable unused. you just need one for the sub.

do both cables feed to the same sub position or did they give you left and right subs ?

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
I assume that the Coax is regular RG6 or RG59 cable??? Is it terminated and wth what type of connector??? Your sub input only needs one input, so use one coax and connect it to the sub and connect the other end of this cable to the sub out on your recvr.

H

hoops34sc

Audiophyte
If I understand your question, I believe that the cables feed to the same sub position. I removed the wall plate where the sub should go and there are two wires. Those same wires appear to go to the location on the other side of the room where all the rest of the wires end (all the rest of the speaker wire.)

So your suggestion is to just to connect one of the coax wires to an RCA wall plate and just leave the other one alone. Why would they put two wires?

H

hoops34sc

Audiophyte
The wire is an RG6. and right now it is just a cut wire no connector

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Typically, in a pre-wired situation you will have a single RCA jack on the wall to connect your subwoofer to. Behind the wall is typically a SINGLE RG6 run to your head end. If you have two RG6 runs, then well... you can get a second sub later on. ;)

Just use one, you really are good to go. If nothing is actually terminated, then call up the prewire guys who should have trimmed out everything. The RG6 should be terminated to RCA at the wall.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
hoops34sc said:
The wire is an RG6. and right now it is just a cut wire no connector
I would suggest you put on an "F" connector on the ends and use an adapter (Available at your local RatShak for a buck or so) to convert that "F" connector to a RCA plug.

...unless you can find a RCA plug that you can connect to the RG-6, which will be a little difficult.

H

hoops34sc

Audiophyte
I went to Radio Shack and maybe it was just the guy working there, but he told me I can't use and RG6 wire for the sub-woofer. But I was thinking I could do an F connector and then convert the cable end to an RCA end. Will that work?

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
Sounds like the guy at Radio Shack is an idiot. You are on the right track with the Coax F-conn with an RCA converter OR just terminate the coax with an appropriate RCA. The F-con solution is easiest.

BTW: Len Roberts the CEO of RS just moved into the 12K+ sq ft house he built down the street from my dad's house. He's an idiot for spending $9-11M in that neighborhood (most expensive house previously was $3M and average is $500K, average size is 4-6K sq ft). I have to hope that he makes better decisions for the company then he does for himself :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Not a good move for Mr. Roberts, but nice for the existing home owners. Its always good to have one of the lower priced houses in an expensive neighborhood. If people see his house valued at $12M they just may pay more than the last sale price of $3M for one of the others.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
as long as they don't raise the property taxes before you get to sell... :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis