how to connect my PC to my Yamaha reciever

O

oymd

Enthusiast
Aloha to all...

I have a Yamaha RX-V 550 reciever with a set of wharfedale speakers...8.4s front, 8.1s rear, 8 center and a Powercube 10A sub.

In my SAME living room and in the same corners was my OLD setup of CREATIVE CAMBRIDGE SOUNDWORKS 5.1 speaker setup which was connected to my COMPUTER (also in the living room).

Well..the creative setup HAD to go...too many wires ...and i was hoping of connecting the PC to the reciever....

I have a few questions:

1- I used a wire which on one end looks like a headphone plug and on the other end has 2 RCA plugs..one red , one white....and connected these RCAs to the "CD input on the receiver"....IS this RIGHT???

2- Should I have plugged it into the MD\Tape Recorder input instead??

3- The soundcard on my PC is a soundblaster Live! 5.1.....the plug went into the "BLACK" output on the card....I left the "GREEN" "YELLOW" "BLUE" "PINK" outputs empty.....I can hear sound when I use "CD" on my amp.....BUT I WONDER...AM I GETTING 5.1 SOUND???
FOR EXAMPLE...IF I PLAY doom 3..WILL I GET 5.1 SOUND??

4- aM i PLACING THE AMP UNDER ANY DANGER BY CONNECTING IT TO THE pc??

thanks!!

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
1: Yes.

2: That would work too. It makes no difference.

3: I'm unsure of that particular audio card, but if it's working it must be right.

4: No 5.1. 2.0 is all you get on a 2 channel analog cable.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
spdif

Use the spdif (difgital) out from the soundcard. You can use the cable you are using now by just connecting 1/8" pin to the spdif out, and connecting the white cable to an available digital coax on your receiver (you won't use the red). Once you've done that you'll need make sure that the spdif out is enabled in your sound card settings, you may also have to set a second soundcard setting in the decoder menus to bypass and route the encoded signal to the spdif out. This setup sends the digital signal to your 5.1 receiver.

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
OYMD
alf mabrouk for ur new setup,so u get the Wharfedale's at the end,anyway to connect it to ur PC call me & i will tell u how coz am already connecting my reciver to my pc,if u forgot my number send me a private message & i will tell u.

D

docferdie

Audioholic
creative sound cards do not have a standard digital method for sending 5.1 sound to receivers. The digital path they offer is exclusive to their speakers. Using the SPDIF connection will allow 5.1 passthrough for movies; for games all you get is 2 channel PCM. To get 5.1 sound in games you need to use the 6 channel analog input in the receiver. This is one of the reasons that I have stayed with an nforce2 motherboard despite the urge to upgrade my PC because this is one of the few solutions that actually allows 6 channel gaming output through SPDIF.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis