how to connect my dvd player to receiver and then to TV?

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
Hi,
I just bought a Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver but unfortunately since I am not tech-savvy, I don't know how can i integrate it into my home theatre set-up. I already have my dvd player hooked up with my TV through the standard connection(i mean the yellow, white and red jacks) but my dvd player does have component video output below it. All I want is to hear music through my speakers when I put CD in my DVD player. I learned from this site that I have to first connect my receiver to my TV via the component video ouput (my TV is HD and so is my DVD player). Then I have to connect my receiver and my dvd player with a HDMI cable since my DVD has an HDMI output and so is my receiver. And that is it? Can someone confirm if all the steps are correct? What do i do with the standard RCA cable that comes with my DVD then? Should I unplug it and then use the component video cable? I am at a loss.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,
I just bought a Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver but unfortunately since I am not tech-savvy, I don't know how can i integrate it into my home theatre set-up. I already have my dvd player hooked up with my TV through the standard connection(i mean the yellow, white and red jacks) but my dvd player does have component video output below it. All I want is to hear music through my speakers when I put CD in my DVD player. I learned from this site that I have to first connect my receiver to my TV via the component video ouput (my TV is HD and so is my DVD player). Then I have to connect my receiver and my dvd player with a HDMI cable since my DVD has an HDMI output and so is my receiver. And that is it? Can someone confirm if all the steps are correct? What do i do with the standard RCA cable that comes with my DVD then? Should I unplug it and then use the component video cable? I am at a loss.
First of all DVD is not an HD carrier, it is standard definition. You need Blue Ray for HD.

I'm assuming your TV has an HDMI input. If so, you connect an HDMI cable from your DVD player to your receiver and an HDMI cable from your receiver to your TV. Those are the only cables you need, as HDMI carries digital audio and video.

Make sure you enable HDMI on your receiver and activate the HDMI output on your receiver. Make sure you assign the input you use for your DVD player as an HDMI input.

Make sure you set the receiver to output the correct resolution for your TV.

That is all there is to it.

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
unplug the original cable

Thanks for the informative answer. Do i need to unplug the RCA (yellow, white and red) cable between my dvd player and TV before I connect them with a HDMI cable? Or do i just leave it as it is?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You don't need the red white yellow connectors as HDMI carries both audio and video. Those connectors will only give you the lowest form of video and stereo audio and are the most basic type off connection. If the player is upscaling, it won't give you the upscaled image via this connection type in terms of video and with a stereo analog feed you also won't get true 5.1 sound.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the informative answer. Do i need to unplug the RCA (yellow, white and red) cable between my dvd player and TV before I connect them with a HDMI cable? Or do i just leave it as it is?
Use the HDMI cables only, then you won't get confused in your set up and watch the lowest definition picture and SQ possible.

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
a dumb question

I know this might be a very dumb question and hopefully it will be my last one. Does the sound have to go through the TV? Will I be able to play CD on my DVD player without the TV?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I know this might be a very dumb question and hopefully it will be my last one. Does the sound have to go through the TV? Will I be able to play CD on my DVD player without the TV?
You need to set the sound not to go to the TV via HDMI, set it to output from the receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With it going to the receiver first and then to the TV, you won't have to involve the TV for audio listening. However if you DO have the TV on, even for movies, you will have to turn the TV volume down or you will get what sounds like an "echo" because both are playing and may not be in synch. I noticed this in my setup, but have heard others with the same issue.

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
one problem

Hi again
I just bought two HDMI cables and used them to connect my dvd player, receiver and TV. Now i can hear music coming from my speakers when I turn my DVD player on. But none of the four HDMI outputs on my TV displays any signal and my TV doesn't have the speaker sound. I did connect it to the HDMI input 2 on my receiver. I wonder how that can be fixed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi again
I just bought two HDMI cables and used them to connect my dvd player, receiver and TV. Now i can hear music coming from my speakers when I turn my DVD player on. But none of the four HDMI outputs on my TV displays any signal and my TV doesn't have the speaker sound. I did connect it to the HDMI input 2 on my receiver. I wonder how that can be fixed.
Probably you don't have the HDMI output enabled on your receiver.

What is your receiver and can the manual be downloaded so we can help you?

You must enable video and audio on the input you are using. You must enable video on the output. You must set the receiver's video resolution no higher than what your TV can accept. What is the maximum resolution of your TV?

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
cable box

Thanks for your patience again. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have cable TV and the signal comes from my cable box. So do I need to buy one more cable to connect my cable box to my receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for your patience again. Oh, I forgot to mention that I have cable TV and the signal comes from my cable box. So do I need to buy one more cable to connect my cable box to my receiver?
Yes you do!

Please answer my questions.

I'm going to go over the facts of life in AV equipment purchase for the benefit of others reading this thread.

Modern digital equipment is complicated, and all units are different.

The days of plug and play are over.

Download the manual of any equipment you contemplate purchasing and study it carefully.

Only when you are sure it will do what you want, and fully understand all the set up procedures, place your order.

We all have to do this. A few months ago I changed my pre/pro and bought a BD player.

I read all the manuals often enough to really understand the set up. Then at install everything went fast and smooth.

The golden rule is don't purchase an item, if you can't understand the manual, unless you have a dealer to do the set up.

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
output

I have yet to check if the HDMI output on my receiver is enabled because it has no problem connecting to my DVD player and playing music through it. SO i assume the output is enabled? Or maybe I am wrong. And my cable box does not have a HDMI output, so how would I hook it up with my receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have yet to check if the HDMI output on my receiver is enabled because it has no problem connecting to my DVD player and playing music through it. SO i assume the output is enabled? Or maybe I am wrong. And my cable box does not have a HDMI output, so how would I hook it up with my receiver?
You assume wrong.

I need your manual to help you further. Your Cable box not having HDMI may make things awkward, and will certainly complicate set up. I would make your cable provider give you a box with HDMI and fully compliant HDCP codes. We have a lot of trouble with cable boxes not being fully HDCP compliant.

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
one more hdmi cable

So suppose i get myself a cable box with HDMI output, so I need to one additional HDMI cable to connect it to my receiver? is there a way to bypass the cable box and for my TV to have the sound coming from the speakers and also to play DVD? Thanks a lot.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So suppose i get myself a cable box with HDMI output, so I need to one additional HDMI cable to connect it to my receiver? is there a way to bypass the cable box and for my TV to have the sound coming from the speakers and also to play DVD? Thanks a lot.
I have no idea. I don't know your receiver model or the brand and model number of your TV. These days all units are different. The best set up however is to run HDMI from your peripherals to the receiver, and HDMI to your TV.

It seems we need to have you have the simplest hookup possible, or this will go on for a month of Sundays.

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
simply

Sorry about my lack of clarity. My receive model is Harman Kardon AVR1600. If we ignore everything we discussed before, suppose now I only want my TV sound to come from my speakers, how can i get that to work? I only have HDMI cable and no other audio cables.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry about my lack of clarity. My receive model is Harman Kardon AVR1600. If we ignore everything we discussed before, suppose now I only want my TV sound to come from my speakers, how can i get that to work? I only have HDMI cable and no other audio cables.
What audio outputs do you have from your cable box, and what video outputs does it have?

What is the brand and model of your TV?

I

iluvsound

Enthusiast
a new idea

Big thanks to the TLS guy.
I think i have a new idea. How about i connect my dvd player with my TV with an HDMI cable and then I connect the audio jacks on My TV (the white and red one) to my receiver with a RCA cable. Would that work? I just tried connecting my TV and My DVD player, it is working and can play my DVDs but haven't hooked it up with my speakers yet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Big thanks to the TLS guy.
I think i have a new idea. How about i connect my dvd player with my TV with an HDMI cable and then I connect the audio jacks on My TV (the white and red one) to my receiver with a RCA cable. Would that work? I just tried connecting my TV and My DVD player, it is working and can play my DVDs but haven't hooked it up with my speakers yet.
You idea is not valid. You have a 7.1 channel receiver. Your hookup would be two channel analog. Worse the TV gets a digital signal and would convert to analog for your connection, and then your receiver would do and digital analog conversion and a digital analog conversion. This is not a good idea apart from only using 2 of 7.1 channels you paid for.

The next issue is that the time has come where HD sources can be flagged to downgrade analog outputs , like component and composite, to standard definition. So there is a forcing of the HDMI.

So you need to have your cable provider give you a cable box that will reliably give you the HD channels you are paying for.

I have your receiver model, but I need the make and model number of your TV before I can help you further.

If this is too complicated for you, I would return your gear and just be happy with your TV. Home theater is not for everyone, in fact if truth be told only for a minority.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis