How to clean corrosion off of inputs?

J

jlindsey86

Audioholic Intern
I have an old cd player and it seems that the rear connections have began to corrode somewhat. Any one know of a good way to stop this from happening?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I use an ink eraser on the outside of the RCA jacks.

...works great on phone recharging connections, too.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
Try products from Craig like Contact Cleaner and Pro Gold. Also, CorrosionX is a great product that stops corrosion and protects while cleaning.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Mark is right. An erraser on a pencil or something like that works great. Isopropal and an old tooth brush is all I will ever use on electronics if a liquid must be used.

G

genesound

Enthusiast
Snap said:
Mark is right. An erraser on a pencil or something like that works great. Isopropal and an old tooth brush is all I will ever use on electronics if a liquid must be used.
Isopropyl usually has impurities, use denatured alcohol instead.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
What?????

genesound said:
Isopropyl usually has impurities, use denatured alcohol instead.
it is 99% alcohol! :confused: I was an avionics electrician for 6 years working on aircraft senstive electronics. Flight directors, INS, GPS, Flight Control Systems... You name it. ALL the manuals had us cleaning c. cards, solder joints any of that stuff with Isopropyl. I seriously doubt that they would tell you to clean a INS, or a GPS circuit card with some thing that would cause problems. :confused:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis