How to add external amp to AV receiver

G

gjgonick

Audiophyte
I'm considering adding an external amp(3 channel), to drive my Front Lt./Rt. and Center speakers, to my AV receiver. Thus, unloading my AVR to power the surrounds only. I have a Denon AVR-3808CI and just upgraded to Aperion Grand Verus tower front Lt./Rt. and center speakers.

As far as set-up, is it as simple as connecting the relevant Pre-Outs of my AVR to the Amp and the relevant speakers to the Amp.

Or are there any settings in the AVR menu to turn "on" the pre-outs.

Much Thanks.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
As far as set-up, is it as simple as connecting the relevant Pre-Outs of my AVR to the Amp and the relevant speakers to the Amp.
Rarely in life are things simple. This is one of them. Denon pre-outs are permanently on.

You'll need to level match after adding the amp.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I just love easy questions, from people who take the time to know to ask the right questions!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know your specific AVR, but on the Denon AVR-4000 and AVR-4520, you can turn off the speaker outputs (and I presume the corresponding amplifier modules and save some energy/heat). To check for this, go to:
MENU > SPEAKERS > MANUAL SETUP > AMP ASSIGN
Again, you may not have this option.

Either way, as previously stated, your pre-outs will be live.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the Denon AVRs only disconnected the amp from pre-amp, but don't power down the amp section. What a shame.

G

gjgonick

Audiophyte
Thank you everyone for the comments.

I was having a hard time believing it was simple as just making the connections.

Have a wonderful day an keep listening.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm considering adding an external amp(3 channel)...I have a Denon AVR-3808CI and just upgraded to Aperion Grand Verus tower front Lt./Rt. and center speakers.
gjgonick,
Not trying to talk you out of the amp, but I had a similar experience. I had a Denon X4000, (125wpc compared to your 130wpc). I also had Aperion Verus Grand towers and center. In fact, I had 4x towers and used them for L/R and Surround L/R. (Had KEFs for rear surrounds to make my 7.2 system).

Read a lot about separate amps, had the bug and the money, so bought an Emotiva XPA5 w/ 200wpc. Powered L/R, Center and Surround L/R with it. Only used Denon to power the rear surrounds.

If I'm honest, I cannot unequivocally say the amp yielded any improvement. Maybe. I don't listen real loud except for big bing/bang/boom movies. Still, the Denon did that all by itself.

Naturally, I told my wife the sound was much more clear and detailed, likely even alluded to that fact here, and told myself it was true. But it was not until I upgraded my speakers that I REALLY noticed a difference.

Would I add the amp again? Yep. Can I say you will notice a difference? Nope. It was worth the $ to be really sure I had enough power... just don't expect a significant difference in your sound.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Would I add the amp again? Yep. Can I say you will notice a difference? Nope. It was worth the $ to be really sure I had enough power... just don't expect a significant difference in your sound.
Bears repeating. That pretty much covers my sentiment/experience with any amp upgrades.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
gjgonick,
Not trying to talk you out of the amp, but I had a similar experience. I had a Denon X4000, (125wpc compared to your 130wpc). I also had Aperion Verus Grand towers and center. In fact, I had 4x towers and used them for L/R and Surround L/R. (Had KEFs for rear surrounds to make my 7.2 system).
Maybe if someone has 5 or 7 towers being run full range, I'll accept the case for a dedicated amp :).

G

gjgonick

Audiophyte
Thank you everyone for the input.

I have not invested in an amp yet and my system sounds great with my current set-up. I'm going to give it a few months and see if I am still happy with my set-up. I do have to say the greatest difference was adding the SVS subwoofer.

My upgrade so far has completely worth investment. My kids love the new set-up and we spend much more time together in our home theater enjoying our favorite movies together.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
My kids love the new set-up and we spend much more time together in our home theater enjoying our favorite movies together.
There ya go. Mission accomplished. When they get older and start thinking movie time w/ Dad is on their list right next to waterboarding, come back to us here. We can help you start working on a VERY COOL home theater to bring them back. ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you everyone for the input.

I have not invested in an amp yet and my system sounds great with my current set-up. I'm going to give it a few months and see if I am still happy with my set-up. I do have to say the greatest difference was adding the SVS subwoofer.
Being a cheap SOB, I think this is a wise move. And, yes, adding a good sub can make a night and day difference.

My upgrade so far has completely worth investment. My kids love the new set-up and we spend much more time together in our home theater enjoying our favorite movies together.
That's great. That what this thing is all about.

G

gjgonick

Audiophyte
It seems an amp is like insurance. Most of the time is does nothing to improve your life until you need it.

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
One scenario where an external amp might be a legitimate upgrade would be where one wanted to drive some 4 ohm speakers to reference?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One scenario where an external amp might be a legitimate upgrade would be where one wanted to drive some 4 ohm speakers to reference?
Mid range Denon would drive most 4ohm speakers without issues, but lets say one has Maggies - now that is another story all together

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis