How much power is needed?

Tool34

Tool34

Audioholic Intern
I just read a review of the ELAC Uni-Fi speakers from another reputable website. According to their review the speakers are a great deal and sound amazing. And that has been the consensus on these speakers from every review I have read. However, this review indicated that "Extra Power" was needed to power these speakers.

I am fairly new to the audiophile community and have learned from the people on here who know WAY more than I that speakers is where you put the money. I am looking to get an A/V receiver in the next few months and these are the speakers that I want to add to go with my home theatre. According to Gene, he says when purchasing an A/V receiver make sure you have some pre-out so that you can add some more power if necessary. Sounds like that is the case with these speakers? With that being said, if I just go with an A/V receiver which brand is recommended? These speakers come with a 4ohm rating, so I'm thinking I need a receiver that has enough wattage to push these speakers?

I'm not trying to cut corners, but I have heard these speakers on a Demo, and I wasn't sure what equipment was pushing them, and I'm trying to stay within a budget of $5000 with speakers, Receiver, projector and screen. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Chad

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Which model number? How large is your room and seating distance to the mains? You will need amplification that can handle a 4 ohm load.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They may be a fairly low sensitivity speaker that also have low resistance. If so, yeah, you might want an outboard amplifier rather than use the AVR's amp. Then again, this depends entirely on how loud you like to listen to stuff. If you don't intend to blast it, a simple AVR amp might suffice. However, if you are looking for THX reference level sound in your home theater, you will want to look at other types of speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Last edited:
Tool34

Tool34

Audioholic Intern
My room is 15X25. I will be approximately 8' from the projection.

My favorite band is Tool. However, that doesn't mean I like to my ears to bleed. I prefer my music loud, but I don't crank it all the way up. I'm my receiver now, the MAX volume goes to 75, and at the highest I will be at 55. Most of my listening is at the 40-45 range.

I have checked accessories4less. And probably will be purchasing from them.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The volume number is relative to the speakers they drive. What is you current avr?

My room is 15X25. I will be approximately 8' from the projection.

My favorite band is Tool. However, that doesn't mean I like to my ears to bleed. I prefer my music loud, but I don't crank it all the way up. I'm my receiver now, the MAX volume goes to 75, and at the highest I will be at 55. Most of my listening is at the 40-45 range.

I have checked accessories4less. And probably will be purchasing from them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like these speakers would not be adequate for a home theater system from this review. I would go for something with more dynamic range.

Tool34

Tool34

Audioholic Intern
I don't know which review you're referring to, but the one I read gave rave remarks from the movies that were part of the review.

Tool34

Tool34

Audioholic Intern
I should mention, the A/V receiver that was used for the review for movies was the Denon X7200WA. Retails for $2800, on accessories4less for $1899. Might be outta of my price range, if I need something that costs as much as the speakers themselves

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could consider their former flagship avr Denon 4520 if they still have any to save some money, has pretty much the same amp section as the 7200, one of the more powerful available in an avr these days. Do you need 4K/HDCP2.2/HDMI2.0 stuff? That it doesn't have. Here's a bench test.

Hard to know what your spl range is on an uncalibrated receiver volume number with unknown speakers but I'm guessing you'll probably be fine with just an avr but having preouts is a good option just in case.

Higher sensitivity speakers will get you more from a given avr's amp, too. Haven't heard the Elacs but haven't been terribly impressed by what I have read either. My personal recommendation would be to also check out Ascend Acoustics, Philharmonic, Salk, Power Sound Audio, SVS etc but then I must shop internet as there's no stores without driving over 2 hours from here. Taking advantage of in-home demos is a better way to go than listening to speakers in a dealer showroom IMHO.

You could also do very well with speaker kits from diysoundgroup.com as long as you're good with your finishing skills, good dynamic and good sounding speakers at a great price with a little time/effort on your part. Check out Mr Boat's thread here http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/tempest-build.106100/#post-1164279

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis