How much musical content IS there below 35hz

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
I mean normal musical content like from musical instruments normally used in modern jazz and rock and commonly produced recordings? How low does a speaker system need to go for this?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
The vast hordes of mankind have been running fullrange signals into 4" coaxials for decades and the world hasn't ended yet.

no. 5

no. 5

Well, the lowest note a bass guitar can make is 41Hz.

For typical pop/rock/jazz I highly doubt that there is much if any content under 35 - 40Hz.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If you like rap, you may need a sub with 30Hz or lower extension, but then that would be classifying rap as music, which won't get you anywhere.

I'm auditioning PC speakers right now that crap out around 40Hz, and I only notice a difference in House music. Rock is just dandy.

SheepStar

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If you like rap, you may need a sub with 30Hz or lower extension, but then that would be classifying rap as music, which won't get you anywhere.
Too funny Sheep and yet I agree 100% percent!

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
(no. 5 hoots and applauds)

Very amusing.... and true.

What's amusing is how many fans of rock, once the music of rebellion, are so musically conservative that they'd actually claim that 'rap isn't music'.

:rolleyes:

as for lowest frequencies in music, a pipe organ goes down below 10 Hz. That's more felt than heard.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What's amusing is how many fans of rock, once the music of rebellion, are so musically conservative that they'd actually claim that 'rap isn't music'.

Yes, the music of rebellion was still music.:D Understandable words and plenty of music rhythms.

Rap, to me, is just noise, irritating noise.:D

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
Both of my sons listen to rap. Occasionally i hear something i would consider clever and musical, but taken as a whole i can't stand it. But i've often caught myself as i close their bedroom door and say "turn it down". My old man used to tell me the same thing as i cranked led zep, deep purple, black sabbath, uriah heep...

A

allsop4now

Audioholic Intern
I mean normal musical content like from musical instruments normally used in modern jazz and rock and commonly produced recordings? How low does a speaker system need to go for this?
From frequency of some instruments we see that both piano and bass guitar goes below 35Hz. I use a subwoofer with crossover at 80Hz, and that helped quite alot with some music as my smallish floor standers does not go so deep.

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
Both of my sons listen to rap. Occasionally i hear something i would consider clever and musical, but taken as a whole i can't stand it. But i've often caught myself as i close their bedroom door and say "turn it down". My old man used to tell me the same thing as i cranked led zep, deep purple, black sabbath, uriah heep...
Eeeeasy livin!

I recall hearing something about bass players having some device that electronically creates lower, sub friendly, frequencies off of the bass notes to enhance the depth of the music. I guess just to take advantage of all the subs out there.

When I listen to some newer jazz there's something tickling my subwoofer into action in the lower end, and since it only is rated to 36hz I was wondering if there was more I wasn't hearing. But silly me, I went out and bought a 36hz sub without checking the bottom freq on my fronts........yup, wouldn't ya know it...36hz. :rolleyes:

As for rap.....A lot of it (most) doesn't seem to have much in the way of melody and harmony, two fairly important components of music I would think, so no, I don't think that really qualifies as "music" in the strictest sense.

I really don't like electronic music so I think it's great that the hip hoppers have been embracing actual musical instruments lately. Some of that is pretty good IMO.

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
From frequency of some instruments we see that both piano and bass guitar goes below 35Hz. I use a subwoofer with crossover at 80Hz, and that helped quite alot with some music as my smallish floor standers does not go so deep.
Wow thanks allsop. Looks like 35hz isn't the bottom of acoustic based instrument music. So when a sub manufacturer says 36hz is that a hard floor, is there a gradual rolloff below it, or is it maybe wishful thinking in the first place?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm the type that does jump on the bandwagon to criticisize 'rap' music but it isn't all bad. I do think that most of the genre is unoriginal and they rely on samples and lyrics from classic rock but some of it is catchy.

I've recently returned to skating on adult night and they do tend to play rap and hip-hop which is totally foreign to me having grown up in the roller disco era where 'freestyle' is the genre of choice.

I can't count the number of times I've heard people about my age say things like 'isn't that ELO'? There is some new song that samples that lyrics from Supertramp - Breakfast in America ('take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I've got'). The 20 somethings think it's new and cool and the 40 somethings say 'isn't that Supertramp'?

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
I'm the type that does jump on the bandwagon to criticisize 'rap' music but it isn't all bad. I do think that most of the genre is unoriginal and they rely on samples and lyrics from classic rock but some of it is catchy.

I've recently returned to skating on adult night and they do tend to play rap and hip-hop which is totally foreign to me having grown up in the roller disco era where 'freestyle' is the genre of choice.

I can't count the number of times I've heard people about my age say things like 'isn't that ELO'? There is some new song that samples that lyrics from Supertramp - Breakfast in America ('take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I've got'). The 20 somethings think it's new and cool and the 40 somethings say 'isn't that Supertramp'?
When I was a kid they had roller disco. Count you're blessings, you don't have to wear spandex. :rolleyes:

no. 5

no. 5

What's really amusing is that when I'm middle age, all the "oldies" radio stations will be playing 50 Cent and Brittany Spears. :eek:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

as for lowest frequencies in music, a pipe organ goes down below 10 Hz. That's more felt than heard.
Show me a Rock song written about a shoe and you may have a point.

SheepStar

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

SheepStar
How about a pair of shoes? One of the first rock songs ever done....Elvis Presley, Blue Suede Shoes. :p

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how about a yellow submarine?

i find it a bit narrow minded to classify "music" you don't like as NOT music.

would you call the sounds natives/aborigines/indians as NOT music? step back, look at the big picture and remove the "God" nameplate from your neck.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hole in my shoe

Traffic - 1967

I looked in the sky where an elephant's eye
Was looking at me from a bubblegum tree
And all that I knew was the hole in my shoe
Which was letting in water (letting in water)
(letting in water)

I walked through a field that just wasn't real
With one hundred tin soldiers which stood at my shoulder
(letting in water)

(Narration: I climbed on the back of a giant albatross
What flew through a crack in the cloud
To a place where happiness reigned all year round
And music played ever so loudly)

I started to fall and suddenly woke
And the dew on the grass had soaked through my coat
(letting in water)

And, just for good measure, "These Boots are made for Walkin'" - Nancy Sinatra., Late sixties

You keep saying you've got something for me.
something you call love, but confess.
You've been messin' where you shouldn't have been a messin'
and now someone else is gettin' all your best.

These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do
one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.

You keep lying, when you oughta be truthin'
and you keep losin' when you oughta not bet.
You keep samin' when you oughta be changin'.
Now what's right is right, but you ain't been right yet.

These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do
one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you.

You keep playin' where you shouldn't be playin
and you keep thinkin' that you´ll never get burnt.
Ha! I just found me a brand new box of matches yeah
and what he know you ain't HAD time to learn.

Are you ready boots? ... Start walkin'!

Actually, "Blue Suede Shoes" was written by Carl Perkins.

But, IMNSHO, I have no love for rap either. I just can't resist a challange. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis