How much are you willing to spend for a speaker system?

I'm OK with spending:

• less than $1000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1,000-3,000

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • $3,000-6,000

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • $6,000-10,000

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • $10,000-20,000

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I trade on Wall Street so I could care less what they cost as long as they look cool.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own the hedge fund the traders work for.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
I'm just curious: We all like to discuss the latest/greatest state of the art speakers and whether we prefer the KEF Blades to the Focal Grand Utopias or the latest Wilson whatever, etc.. But when it comes down to your ears and your wallet, how much are you willing to come off the hip for a pair of stereo speakers? Or a surround setup, if that's your preference.

I realize there's more to it than $ but we all have budgets even if we own hedge funds(I guess). So what's your particular cost/benefit point?

Comments are welcome, let's hear what you think.

Best,
Bill

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You don't have a category for my new range....under $100. ;)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I only said that because I just picked up a mint condition, never been over 73dB pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE for $80 and a BIC F-12 sub for $100. Both had also come from two different 70+ year old fellows who changed things in their system. The first guy with the CBM-170's was a classical music listener who went to Sierra 1's and the guy selling the sub listens to 50's to 70's jazz and lives in a condo, never did crank it up and bought LSA 2.1 speakers that cover his music fine without a sub.

I need to find a center and pair of surrounds in the same price range. I am picking up a Denon AVR_S700W for barely more, and I'll have a decent 5.1 system in my guest room for under $500. That's the goal anyhow. :)

BTW, in reality I changed my vote up to $10K to $20K because from what I've heard of speakers in that range and above, *I* don't really hear much better sound just richer or weirder looking cabinets.

Last edited:
T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
Most of the people here must of some serious incomes.....

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
LOL...I voted that I'm willing to spend $10K to $20K. I didn't mean it would be MY money, I don't have that kind of disposable income.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I voted 3k to 6K but It has to be under 5k and in $CAN :(

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I voted 3k to 6K but It has to be under 5k and in $CAN :(

That being said, I am quite happy with my 1.5k Kef LS50 ... I am not sure spending more would be money well spent!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's not so much that we necessarily have serious incomes, but that we build things up over time. My setup certainly wasn't purchased in a single day.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You left out one category
  • I once owned a hedge fund but now I'm in jail (aka what would Pharma Bro buy?)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm in a lower category if you don't include the money I spent on the tools I bought so I could build the speakers enclosures. :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Although it is possible to do a very good system for less, I chose the $10-20K range. That is where I ended up for a multi-channel, HT focused speaker system. You can spend more, but I believe at that level the room would be where the extra money would be best spent.

G

Giancarlo

Audiophyte
I think $5000-$6000 is a solid budget depending on your needs. I would allocate it by - Home theatre speakers $1500 with sub (5.1 is good enough for my liking), Av receiver is around $800, music loudspeakers $2000, integrated amp around $1000.

I personally prefer music system and home theatre separate, but to each their own. Depending on your needs, it can go down to $3000 without problems.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

B

bsf

Audioholic
I would spend 10k for 2 channel setup and 15k for HT setup which brings me to 25k - ]

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I just spent it .................... Revel Ultima Studio 2's, I pick them up later this week.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only reason I see for having multiple systems is when you have multiple rooms.

For example, you may have a system for your "man cave" HT room, family/living room, and bedroom.

But in reality, if you didn't have a man cave and your bedroom isn't suitable for a speaker system, then there is no reason you can't just have one system to rule them all. :D

A great speaker system will be great for everything.

My new HT room will have a keyless door lock for sure. :)

House guests can enjoy my sophisticate Linkwitz Orion 2CH "Music" system. :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
While I doubt I could ever have the kind of dedicated HT room you'll have ADGT, I did recently get an empty bedroom with 4 square walls. Actually had 2 empty rooms for a couple months, until my daughter boomeranged back. She won't be long. I put a second 5.1 "budget" system in there, the other will get renovated and treated to be a good 2 channel system room.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
As I built my own mains, what I spent is much less than what they're worth...compared to commercial speakers I've auditioned....$20K would be minimum.
Boxes with no parallel sides, time aligned drivers, biased XOs. Boxes shaped to produce a superior soundstage...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis