How Many Colors can a woodchuck chuck

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I'm not in the market for a projector, but, i have this nagging question.

Having a background in photography (I taught at the university level prior to becoming an engineer), and knowing about color printing with inkjets etc.. How many colors do projectors project? Is there a future for projecting more colors?

I ask because of my photogtraphy interests. Color printing use to be three color using red, blue, and green. Black was created by exposing the paper to white light, and white was created by equal percentages of the three primaries. Then four color printing was developed for periodicals by adding black ink to the process. Current inkjet printers can use up to 8 colors (six colors and two levels of black). Are projectors heading in this direction or are they still at three colors?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
There really isn't the same consideration.

The gamut of RGB is enough to cover the colors we can see. The reason inkjet printers (and even offset presses) have tried systems with more than the 4 old-fashioned printing colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK for the non-printing folk out there) is because the gamut of CMYK printing is so much less than what designers can do on their monitors with Red, Green, and Blue light.

Adding an Orange or Light Magenta channel wouldn't allow a display to show any more color than it can with RGB.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis