How many are running in-walls for LCR?

S

SoundUp

Audiophyte
I like the form factor of an in-wall speaker for my mains and center, but have never heard an in-wall presentation I enjoyed as much as dedicated free-standing speakers. How many here are running in-walls in your home theater and do you consider it a sound quality sacrifice or have you found a speaker that sounds as good or better than a free-standing speaker?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I use in walls in the living room but not in the theater. They sound ok, but the free standing speakers in my theater blow them away.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I have both In walls and On walls and enjoy them a lot!

I would not say that there is a compromise in performance by having a well built speaker placed inside a wall cavity. Triad makes excellent speakers and their design makes installation about as easy as can be. My review covered a lot with installation so take a look : Triad InWall Bronze LCR/4 Review

S

SoundUp

Audiophyte
I have both In walls and On walls and enjoy them a lot!

I would not say that there is a compromise in performance by having a well built speaker placed inside a wall cavity. Triad makes excellent speakers and their design makes installation about as easy as can be. My review covered a lot with installation so take a look: Triad InWall Bronze LCR/4 Review
Nice write up!

It's possible that I have just never heard good in-walls (never heard the Triads),but I think there's something I don't like about the way the sound radiates into the room. That's my theory anyway, because there are some significant sonic advantages to in-walls including higher perceived sensitivity and flatter frequency response due to lack of baffle diffraction. These things alone should give in-walls a pretty clear advantage over floor-standers, but that just hasn't been my experience.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
In walls carry a lot of sound backward through walls too. One of my inwalls in the living room is opposite the bathroom. It's kinda nice tho, on movie night if I use the bathroom I can clearly hear the dialog through the wall so I don't miss out on anything lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's kinda nice tho, on movie night if I use the bathroom I can clearly hear the dialog through the wall so I don't miss out on anything lol.
LMAO. :D

I think you can get some pretty accurate and dynamic in-wall Speakers that may sound even better than “some” systems, but probably not as great as the better ones.

And I don’t know about the effects within the walls and the adjacent room. :D

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Nice write up!

It's possible that I have just never heard good in-walls (never heard the Triads),but I think there's something I don't like about the way the sound radiates into the room. That's my theory anyway, because there are some significant sonic advantages to in-walls including higher perceived sensitivity and flatter frequency response due to lack of baffle diffraction. These things alone should give in-walls a pretty clear advantage over floor-standers, but that just hasn't been my experience.
Well, once you get closer and happen to be willing to cut some holes in your walls - see if @DigitalDawn can demonstrate how Triad makes loudspeakers that sound nearly identical in a variety of installations.

I had not really considered InWalls prior, but for a bedroom to have that quality of sound with zero floor space lost is pretty neat!

But, that might be a deciding factor for you - if floor real estate is cheap, you might get some higher quality drivers for the same money with InRoom style speakers. (not necessarily, Triad, I just like their straightforward descriptions)

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
If you buy in-walls and don't want the sound to transfer to adjacent rooms, just make sure that the speaker is completely enclosed. All Triad In-Walls have enclosed cabinets.

Keep in mind, that Triad speakers within a series (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc) are designed to sound the same -- cabinet characteristics, driver placement, and crossovers are all adjusted to make each speaker sonically identical. So, for example, InRoom, InWall, OnWall, and even InCeiling speakers should match one another acoustically.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis