How loud is your vacuum cleaner?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
SPL db and frequency response.

Mine is so damn loud I need I to ware earplugs as the SPL db frequency makes me feel dizzy after a few minutes and plus I have tinnitus due to SENSURROUND at 120db on the last one I saw Battlestar Galactica (1978) April 1979 that was so intense it must have passed threshold, so I don't kidd with anything LOUD hearing protection for the 10mins or so vacuum cleaning every morning.

One time many months ago the use of it without earplugs made almost black-out due to moving around while vacuuming the floor the loudness of frequency was sickening, I had to switch it off and look for my earplugs and after 5mins rest resumed cleaning.

On TrueRTA the peak frequency is 400Hz / SPL db is 109db!

All vacuum cleaners have differences in SPL db and frequency response due to amount of suction power required. Some are a bit quieter than others well I'd be happier with an 80 85db vacuum or something like used in STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN, that seemed to sounded more pleasant rather than intrusive.

The vacuum cleaner in STAR TREK II must be 60db or something that is how we are able to hear the conversation if it was 109db we wouldn't hear a damn word.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
My Dyson is the quietest vacuum cleaner I've used. Big Lots has good deals on refurbs sometimes -- especially if you can catch a friends & family 20% off store wide event. Or you could get a Roomba. I've read that those are pretty quiet.

Hey, check it out! Woot.com has a refurb Dyson today.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We own two Dysons now. First bought as a refub some years ago. Still going strong. Exceptional machines

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

Looks like your ear plugs are covered in blood! Time for a new vacuum, bro!

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Dyson as well as a central vac. Have you considered getting an Asian maid to do general cleaning?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I have a Dyson as well as a central vac. Have you considered getting an Asian maid to do general cleaning?

I'd have the maid with quiet Dyson for the mornings and evenings. :p

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Letting my fingers do the walking I see a list of db level for vacuum cleaners.

http://www.vacuumsguide.com/quiet-vacuum-cleaners/

I'll have to look at the local electrical appliance stores online and get a specs db specs listing it has to have good suction power as more importantly being quieter.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Looking around Currys digital electrical could take a while to find the affordable vacuum with good sucking and low db level.

Specs are given for db which is good. Seen a few affordable ones and extremely expensive ones. But if push comes to shove and well the earplugs are cheap and do reduce the db pressure on the ears but one that is 80db range would be okay 60db would be great as it won't scare my cat off as he doesn't like it, no more then I.

This Dyson, one and used to have Dyson D something model up till Dec 2014, and my dad gave me his and no wonder it figures now, 109db!

The Dyson here is 84db £279.99 :eek:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/vacuum-cleaners/cylinder-vacuum-cleaners/dyson-dc39-animal-2015-cylinder-bagless-vacuum-cleaner-iron-purple-10024402-pdt.html#cat-0

I see some clone like Dyson, Vax £99.99 82db. Well that is -27db less than 109 ear-buster!
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/vacuum-cleaners/cylinder-vacuum-cleaners/vax-air-compact-c87-am-le-cylinder-bagless-vacuum-cleaner-silver-black-red-10025834-pdt.html#cat-0

Too bad there is no frequency response graph of the vacuum cleaners to see how they compare with 400Hz peak I was seeing on the Prolectrix 2200w.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Look at Currys Digital Electrical for an affordable vacuum cleaner at £99.99 below.

Currys, as db specs on the vacuum cleaners which is good and if I'd even be happier with 82db one that is -27db less than 109db ear-buster. Some even as low as 60db but hardly found any at STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN, futuristic 60db, may have to wait till the 23rd Century. grin emoticon

1) VAX Air Compact C87-AM-LE Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Silver, Black & Red. £99.99 / 82db

2) HOOVER Blaze SP81BL03001 Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Black & Blue. £69.00 / 87db a bit higher than the (item 1 at 82db) but with earplugs it would still be -22db less with earplugs in would make it seem like around 78db?

3) VAX Energise Boost C86-E2-Be Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Red. £59.99 / 82db

Vacuum cleaner has to be also small compact easy to use.

4) HOOVER Spritz SE81_SZ03001 Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Black & Orange. £59.00 / 85db (CONSIDERING)

5) BLACK & DECKER Dustbuster DV4800N Handheld Vacuum Cleaner - Pink & White. £34.99 / no db specs but can't be an ear-buster? If I go to Curry's I'm taking my SPL db metre with me to check the items in an open showroom as in closed rooms the db level increases its just one of those things most people overlook. I would even consider taking the laptop so I can use the SPL db on item and check the RTA frequency before buying as it is the owner who has to live with it at expensive of cost reliability and db quiet smoothness. I'll consider the B&D for smaller vacuums at night.

6) HOOVER Hurricane SX70_HU01001 Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Silver & Green. £89.99 / 87db

7) VAX C86 Flair Base Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Black & Plum. £69.99 / 80db, sounds good. CONSIDERING.

8) HOOVER Rush RU12001 Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Purple & White. £89.99 / 88db

9) HOOVER Curve CU81_CU11001 Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - White & Purple. £69.99 / 87db

10) VAX Flair C86-FA-TE Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Black & Plum. £99.99 / 83db

I have two Oscar nominees for best sound. :D As well as price being down in the middle range.

HOOVER Spritz SE81_SZ03001 Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Black & Orange. £59.99 / 85db

VAX C86 Flair Base Cylinder Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Black & Plum. £69.99 / 80db

I'll get a new one soon and bear with Prolectrix 2200w Ear-Buster for a few more weeks.

Edit: New 3rd Oscar for best sounding. But the compromise is not cylinder type and I need to empty ASAP with the cleaning of fleas not have the buggers jumping out. But at £99.99 / 74.4db well earplugs in will make 85db 80db vacuum cleaner sound less. None of the expensive Dyson, vacs I saw was close to 74.4db.

New 3rd Oscar for best sounding. But the compromise is not cylinder type and I need to empty ASAP with the cleaning of fleas not have the buggers jumping out. But at £99.99 / 74.4db well earplugs in will make 85db 80db vacuum NUMATIC Henry HVR.200-A2 Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner - Red.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You guys don't understand how Vacuums work. Have no fear, I will teach you in 4 easy steps.

1. Make a T time. If you don't golf, tell a friend a time to meet you at the bar.

2. Tell your wife that you are taking her car and your's needs to be clean when you get home.

3. Tell her to vacuum the floor

4. Tell her what time dinner should be ready.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Mine isn't bad, but I plan to replace the power cord, so it should work a lot better after I get done. o_O

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Mine isn't bad, but I plan to replace the power cord, so it should work a lot better after I get done. o_O
The Dyson DC04 found a picture before my dad was nagging me to get rid of it. It worked and it was damn sight less noisier than ear-buster he gave me.

The power cord on this one need to be changed but never got around to do it. Well its down the Tip now many months ago. 3 cord power cables don't cost much.

You could make your lead a bit longer so don't have to keep unplugging when it won't reach far enough.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Final farewell to Dyson DC04 and another one that well it worked it was just given to me and never used it. D'oh! :D

October 8, 2014

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I should have added, if anyone State-side is interested in the Fein Vacuum, They are often on display at Woodcraft. Ask, if you don't see, because they'll sometimes have in use back in their shop or storage area.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You guys don't understand how Vacuums work. Have no fear, I will teach you in 4 easy steps.

1. Make a T time. If you don't golf, tell a friend a time to meet you at the bar.

2. Tell your wife that you are taking her car and your's needs to be clean when you get home.

The fact that you're still able to type tells me that you haven't actually tried that...:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

I was just about to post something like this and then I saw you got this covered. It seems here in Fort Worth, TX we know how to vacuum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis