How important is video up-conversion as a feature?

F

FLMike

Audioholic
How important is video up-conversion/down-conversion as a feature? Does it really provide quality benefits? Does it limit the number of connections that you have to make from the receiver to the Set? I've narrowed my selection to two THX receivers, a Pioneer VSX-1014 $500 without upconversion and a Yamaha HTR-5790 $599 with. Opinions?

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Spend the $$$

FLMike said:
How important is video up-conversion/down-conversion as a feature? Does it really provide quality benefits? Does it limit the number of connections that you have to make from the receiver to the Set? I've narrowed my selection to two THX receivers, a Pioneer VSX-1014 $500 without upconversion and a Yamaha HTR-5790 $599 with. Opinions?

If it were me I would spend the money and buy the one with upconversion...it just keeps options open for the future...and it doesn't hurt having it.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Up convert this

I'm under the impression (and I may be very wrong) that up conversion of a video signal only generates a compatible output signal for component or S-Video depending on the level of up-conversion. There will be no new information in the output signal. Sort of like why a Star Trek food "replicator" or "transporter" will never exist - can make sumthin from nuthin.

Warp speed is another matter.

However, since my monitor (actually just a TV) uses S-video I'm wondering now about down-conversion. Perhaps I should read my manual.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Mudcat said:
Sort of like why a Star Trek food "replicator" or "transporter" will never exist - can make sumthin from nuthin.

Warp speed is another matter.
Whaaa??

But Troi gets those incredible chocolate sundies, and Picard always has his tea, EARL GREY, HOT, from the replicators!

the replicators are why everyone in the future is fit and in shape, you are on a 2500 calorie diet, no matter WHAT you order, you get 2500 calories, total! (Or whatever you caloric intake level is!)

F

FLMike

Audioholic
If only I could replicate a $5,000 set of speakers LOL.

BTW, I am WRONG about the 1014-TX. It apparently does convert S-video and composite to component.

Mike

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Mr.T said:
You will find the definitions of UPconverting and DOWNconverting an HD signal here:
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1052725
Geez, those definitions are pretty simplistic, and not exactly accurate.

Many new receivers offer up and down conversion as it is a by-product of what they need to do to use on-screen menus for component video. They are using chips inside that can output over composite, s-video, and component. So, they spend five bucks more and allow the video to be converted (up/down) to match one of those formats.

Now, I am not sure about HD down converting to 480i, but you do get simpler cabling, if you want it, by up converting and just using a component connection to your display. I have never heard anyone complain about added noise or distortion from running their s-video/composite equipment through a receiver and having it processed. Most display devices process the video signal anyway.

Bottom line is that people have been paying thousands of dollars for years to Faroudja and other companies to get good video processing. It used to be $10,000.00 for a cheap doubler, now it is 'standard' to have some sort of processor in most $1,000.00 receivers. How good the processing is, definitely could be put to a test, but I would expect that if you are using it with SDTV, VCR, and a video camera then you won't be complaining at all.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
I simply agree with you BMX, not long ago Panasonic for a while was incorporating a Faroudja video enhancer circuitry on their $ 150 DVD players, go and figure.

Attachments

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
FLMike,

I'm not sure why you would want to down convert a signal but the up conversion feature is nice to have. I have a Denon 3805 switching my DirecTV HD receiver, DVD 480P signal, both via component inputs, and DirecTV TiVo unit via S-Video. I never planned on switching my HD and DVD through the receiver but after doing so it's much more convenient and is high on the WAF. Having just one cable connecting the receiver to my TV is very clean. It also enables you to use your OSD through the component cable. But be warned, my Denon, and I'm pretty sure the units you are looking at, do not display the volume and basic information while you are watching a signal from a component input. The system setup OSD works regardless of any input. So the volume and basic OSD (DSP and the like) are available while I'm watching my TiVo unit but not while watching HD and DVD. Hopefully the next generation receivers will offer this capability.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm currently running a HD DVR cable box and DVD player directly into my TV via component cables. Is there any great advantage, beyond wire tidyness and the convenience of not changing TV inputs to change this configuration? My reciever only has S video up-conversion, not component. Will I see any improvement in quality?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
You will not see any improvement in quality. It's more of a convience feature. As systems get more complicated, having the ability to eliminate changing inputs on your monitor is nice. My wife really appreciates it and I have seen no loss in signal quality. I also appreciate how much easier it is to switch the video inputs. But I also would like the volume and basic OSD to work while watching a component input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis