How I got Cured of my Speaker Buying Addiction

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
In these dark times, a good bit of true-life humor wouldn't hurt. I'll keep it relatively brief (no I won't).

Those Allison CD-9's I bought (but didn't need) sounded so great with the soundstage they put out with wall placement! I got to wondering about other speakers made to be placed against the wall.

IMG_20210103_1830529_copy_1622x1216.jpg

Suddenly I wanted (not needed) a pair of Von Schweikert VR-33's. But they don't pop up for sale often.

But a pair of VR-4's came up on Craigslist near Richmond. Not designed to be placed against the walls, mind you, but they were Von Schweikert speakers, so I bought them (look, I never said I made sense). :rolleyes:. They are happily doing living room duty.

IMG_20201230_1847173_copy_1622x1216.jpg

Then a month later, a pair of VR-33's came up for a good price. It was a long drive, requiring an overnight trip, but I bought them. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

aIMG-20210102-WA0000.jpg

My wife didn't say too much... but you guys know that look. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then, my friend who is downsizing, asked me to pick up the Revel F30's and sell them for him. Granted, that was a consignment deal, but it was still another pair of 100 pound (well, 90) speakers in the house. So at one point, before I sold his F30's, I had 5 pairs of speakers with a total weight of 1030 pounds in this house. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

00X0X_goLJycAKZ84_0qa0jC_1200x900.jpg

At least those have found a new home.

So it still comes down to having 2 more pairs of speakers than I need. All of them are great in their own ways but damn, this is getting out of hand. I need to sell the CD-9's and one pair of VSA's, which means the drudgery of Craigslist, ebay, etc. Yuck.

But it hit me like a slap to the face that I've got a problem. I went to the better half with my head down, feeling defeated.

"I gotta stop doing this," I said to her. "You have to help me."

"How am I supposed to help?" she asked.

"I don't know.. just don't let me buy any more speakers for the next 5 years."

Then she suddenly smiled. "I have a better idea. You can buy any speakers you want. But whatever you pay for them, you have to give me an equal amount in cash."

:oops:

o_O

Hey dudes, check it out... I'M CURED!!!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Stop looking, and I hate to say it, but going into Audio forums does not help your addiction either.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
For me only 2 ways I stop my urge to buy new speakers

1. I run out of money
2. I die

After reading your post, your way is good too ;). I just bought my last pair of speakers I will ever own....until I buy a new pair of speakers.

I just spent the past 2+ hours listening to my new Persona 3Fs so I am content for now lol

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Funny, I always thought that was a great tact to talk the wife into letting you buy speakers: “If I get these, you can get that (xyz) you’ve been wanting.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Funny, I always thought that was a great tact to talk the wife into letting you buy speakers: “If I get these, you can get that (xyz) you’ve been wanting.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The kitchen and garage renovations are coming out of my hide already. It's not even a money issue (although I can certainly put that $$ to better use).

I have a thing about buying stuff and not using it... so I am miffed a myself for breaking my own rule. I unpacked my T&A's for the first time since last July a couple weeks ago and once I finally FINALLY got the placement right (another story in its own right) it dawned on me that I was spending a lot of money on answers to a question that didn't exist.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis