How hot does your RX-V2600 get?????

N

Newfiestang50

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, I just purchased the Yamaha RX-V2600 and have been playing around with it for the last day or so getting it all set up. I have it set up such that it is only driving my surrounds, center, and sub, (powered, so not really driving it) i am using the front pre outs connecting the receiver to my NAD C372 and C272 via a Y splitter. I have noticed that this unit gets pretty hot on the top, more than i am used to, just wondering if anyone else has this receiver and have noticed the same. The receiver actually gets hotter than the two NADS, which seems wrong since they have the most difficult load (mains are PSB Stratus Golds, 4ohm), the fan on the unit is set to auto and i have not heard it come on but maybe it does, just that i don't hear it. I know the fan works since i switched it to continuous and did hear it working. Please let me know if you think this is normal or if there is a problem. Just another note, it seems to eventually reach this temp even if the volume is turned all the way off and left there for some time not in use, just powered on, and also does not get much hotter if driven hard for a couple of hours. Anyway, your thoughts please.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have any experience with that receiver but my Panasonic (not in the same league as your Yamaha) gets extremely hot. The cooling fan only comes on when the volume is at -20 or higher. I'd say it is normal but I'd listen to others that have experience with that unit.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have the RX-V1600 and keep the fan on all the time, I also have my DVD player sitting on top of it, but there are a couple inches between the units. It gets somewhat hot, but not hot enough to burn you. But it does run much hotter than my old Pioneer receiver. I wouldn't worry too much about it as it will go into protect if it gets too hot.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I am driving Paradigm monitor 7's LR, mini monitor ctr, ADP 170's rear and Atoms in the back. Xover set to 80 and all set to small. My fan comes on when listening at or above the 0 point on volume for longer periods of time. Even if in two channel and above the 0 point, it still comes on. My speakers are supposed to be 8 ohms, but I suspect they are really 6. As soon as I lower the volume, it goes off in a few seconds. I assume the fan is doing it's job. Think about how much is in that box, there is going to be a good amount heat generated to create the kind of power the RXV2600 is delivering. When at or above the 0 point it is very, very loud, in excess of 103 db's or so. I assume it is normal fan operation, but I would love to hear Yamaha comment.

J

Jimemitchellsr

Audiophyte
Rxv2600

I just received my 2600 and also noticed that it gets very hot. Mine is in a cabinet with about 4" clearance above it. I bought a very small aux fan ($12)
Little noisy, but you can't hear it when sound is turned up. Plugged it in the powered outlet.
I've got a different issue that I would like some input on. I have a LG tuner/DVD player. It produces a full 1080 signal without the need to upconvert.
when I connect with a DVI cable, it will not play, however when I use a componant cable, it works fine. I about to conclude that they haven't perfected the DVI cabeling system. Any body else had this problem?
Jim

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Video inputs

You are kind of hijacking this thread, but to answer your question:

To change from a component video to HDMI, you need to go into the receivers setup and tell it which video input you are using for the DVD. (i.e. HDMI Input 1). If this setting matches the cabling, then it should work. Also note, there are hardly any HDTVs on the market will accept a 1080P input signal because it is not part of the current HDMI/HDCP specification.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
you need to go to Manual Setup, find display set, and set VCONV to ON this will allow the component to be upconverted to HDMI, that is if you want to input component to your receiver and have it upconvert and output onto HDMI.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
At the retailr store I go to, they have a bunch of yamaha receivers on display, and they are all hot. I think yammies just run hotter then other brands.

SheepStar

cam

cam

Audioholic
For as long as I have been reading reviews on Yamaha receivers, everybody has stated that they run hot. I think it has something to do with the voltage rails being bumped up on the high side. If you look at the max power consumption compare to the specs on most Yamaha receivers, you will see something like Examaple: 500 watts max power consumption rated at 120 watts x 7. Sounds like something is working overtime to make that kind of power whereas my Denon 1804 has a max power consumption of 540 watts (4.5 amps) and only produces 90 watts x 6. I have pushed my Denon very hard many a time and it never gets hot, and it does not have a fan. Yamaha receivers are rated on the high side, where Denon receivers are rated on the conservative side.

J

jmone

Audioholic Intern
I also have a V2600 and called Yamaha as I was also concerned about how hot it gets - really really hot. I was told that yes they get hot, keep at least 10cm space clear above it (eg not components sitting directly on top) and they suggested to turn the fan from AUTO to ON all the time. I was also told that the temp is high even at low vols.

The fan makes heaps of difference but I find the noise annoying at low vol so I've put it back to the factory preset of AUTO (I don't think it as come on at all now it has clearance on top).
Nathan

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
Newfiestang50 said:
Hey guys, I just purchased the Yamaha RX-V2600 and have been playing around with it for the last day or so getting it all set up. I have it set up such that it is only driving my surrounds, center, and sub, (powered, so not really driving it) i am using the front pre outs connecting the receiver to my NAD C372 and C272 via a Y splitter. I have noticed that this unit gets pretty hot on the top, more than i am used to, just wondering if anyone else has this receiver and have noticed the same. The receiver actually gets hotter than the two NADS, which seems wrong since they have the most difficult load (mains are PSB Stratus Golds, 4ohm), the fan on the unit is set to auto and i have not heard it come on but maybe it does, just that i don't hear it. I know the fan works since i switched it to continuous and did hear it working. Please let me know if you think this is normal or if there is a problem. Just another note, it seems to eventually reach this temp even if the volume is turned all the way off and left there for some time not in use, just powered on, and also does not get much hotter if driven hard for a couple of hours. Anyway, your thoughts please.
Have had a 2500 for about a yr now and it runs quite warm as well. Was a real concern for many 2500 owners. I set fan to auto and let it be. Contacted Yamaha and they too explained about the 7 amps in there, lots of power, etc. Have not had any problems with unit thus far. If you really want to freak out reach under left, middle side with fingers turned up/knuckles down and feel the area below transformer. That will make you forget about how warm it gets on top.

flexodude

flexodude

Junior Audioholic
I have nothing on top, buts its in a cabinet under my Sony Wega TV, so should I be concerned about the heat like others have mentioned. I have the Yamaha RX-V1500 Receiver which also puts out some heat and I don't think it has any fans. The back of the Cabinet has large sections cut out which I have draped some screen door material and the front is glass doors. :confused:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
My Denon 3805 used to get extremely hot. I put a pc fan over the heat sinks and connected it to the switched outlet on the receiver (on the same lines as jimemitchel). It cured the problem to some degree.

One other HUGE factor I did was to totally remove the rear panel on the back of my entertainment center. That made the biggest difference.

Many racks and entertainment centers are not built for proper ventilation. It's not enough to have clearance above the receiver, and to the sides. If you have a glass door, the back of the cabinet MUST be open. I'm not talking a few holes for wires. Totally remove the back panel.

Furthermore, never, ever put any equipment on top of a receiver or amp. Rearrange your equipment so your receiver gets its own shelf. Heat destroys electronics. Those temperatures literally will melt solder joints.

B

Barch

Audiophyte
My RX-V2600 falls out

I received my first RX-V2600 about 2 months ago and after 30 minutes of playing, it just falled out and I couldn't get it back on. They send it back to Yamaha for repair. When I got it back, he did the same thing, but after 45 minutes.
So I got a new one ...
This one goes well, as long as I don't play loud. And that's just what I like, and why I bought this receiver: to play loud!!
It gets really hot, OK, I can live with that. But when I'm listening to Metallica for instance at volume of 2 dB, it just falls out. I can put it back on, right away, but not loud anymore...
I have 2 KEF iQ5 in the back, 2 KEF iQ7 in the front and a Yamaha subwoofer YST-SW800. All conected with 4 mm² wire...
Anyone an idea what is wrong, because Iread a lot about getting hot, but no one seems to have the problem of falling out ??

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Newfiestang50 said:
Make sure the speaker (A,B) selectors are off, otherwise the amp is on. And, make sure the ZONE amps are off as well. I know on my 1400, ZONE 2 & 3 come on automatically when you power the receiver on at the panel. But, they don't when you use the remote.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
GlocksRock said:
I have the RX-V1600 and keep the fan on all the time, I also have my DVD player sitting on top of it, but there are a couple inches between the units. It gets somewhat hot, but not hot enough to burn you. But it does run much hotter than my old Pioneer receiver. I wouldn't worry too much about it as it will go into protect if it gets too hot.
I wouldn't have anything on top of a receiver, or amp.;)

B

bongobob

Audioholic
zumbo said:
Make sure the speaker (A,B) selectors are off, otherwise the amp is on. And, make sure the ZONE amps are off as well. I know on my 1400, ZONE 2 & 3 come on automatically when you power the receiver on at the panel. But, they don't when you use the remote.
Turning the zones off is a real pain in the butt if you're using a universal remote. Zone two can be turned off using a button on the receiver but zone 3 needs the original remote to disable. And you have to program the remote to do it as well......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis