How good is the Fluance reference series?

A

Anthony350

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

I've been looking into building a nice media room as I will be moving pretty soon. I've been looking for a good budget friendly brand of speakers. I came across a few video reviews about the fluance reference series. I've heard some good things however they were sponsored videos. Does anyone have any experience with fluance speakers?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have never heard any Fluance. In general, I do think they are said to sound pretty good.

But, there was certainly a run of QC problems! I don't really recall the details, but if you do more searching on this website, you should be able to find the details.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Spartan
Considering the cost difference, the Signature series is considered to be a pretty good buy... the towers, especially, deliver extended bass response not found often these days at many price points. So over their other products? I'd look there, first. That said, I haven't listened to their gear, so this is, simply, hearsay.

A

Anthony350

Audiophyte
I have never heard any Fluance. In general, I do think they are said to sound pretty good.

But, there was certainly a run of QC problems! I don't really recall the details, but if you do more searching on this website, you should be able to find the details.
Interesting... That could have been the previous models. I did hear they had some issues with those. I will try to see what I can find on here. Than you for your input.

A

Anthony350

Audiophyte
Considering the cost difference, the Signature series is considered to be a pretty good buy... the towers, especially, deliver extended bass response not found often these days at many price points. So over their other products? I'd look there, first. That said, I haven't listened to their gear, so this is, simply, hearsay.
I did see something about the signature series. There aren't may reviews on those either. Maybe I will dig deeper to see what I can find there. I wish I could find more reviews on their products.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Spartan
I did see something about the signature series. There aren't may reviews on those either. Maybe I will dig deeper to see what I can find there. I wish I could find more reviews on their products.
For the price, they seem to be OK... but it becomes easy to justify stepping up to a different speaker when you really start comparing pros and cons.
I agree, there isn't a lot out there to lock in on. And all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. That said, I think @shadyJ may know at least a little about them... perhaps he can chime in.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OH! It may have been the signature series I was thinking about with the QC stuff. Didn't realize this was different.

A

Anthony350

Audiophyte
OH! It may have been the signature series I was thinking about with the QC stuff. Didn't realize this was different.
Yes they have three different levels. The first is the elite series, mid tier is the reference, and the top tier is the signature series. The main reason why I prefer the reference over the signature series is one because of the size. I like the signature series but the towers are a bit too large for my liking. The other reason is because the reference is the most recent.

A

Anthony350

Audiophyte
For the price, they seem to be OK... but it becomes easy to justify stepping up to a different speaker when you really start comparing pros and cons.
I agree, there isn't a lot out there to lock in on. And all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. That said, I think @shadyJ may know at least a little about them... perhaps he can chime in.
Yeah that's true. There is always something better. I will definitely welcome him to give his insight on them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah that's true. There is always something better. I will definitely welcome him to give his insight on them.
Shady reviewed the towers they did well for the price he said they did a lot of things good not great which is to be expected for what they are asking for the price they are asking for a budget speaker like your looking for it would be hard to find something better at that price point then these

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic
Any thoughts on these, Fluance Reference XL8FW tower's?
61g32RlM+IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They have two 6 1/2 driver's silk dome tweeter and a 8" driver down firing. $599.00 for the pair.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Ninja
Ok gene has a review of this speaker as well. So they've reviewed both

Let's compare the two

The signature has the better bass response the XL8 has a crossover issue that makes the bass and midbass a touch heavy. This is only an issue with the speakers running full range if you crossover at say 80 hz with a sub then both speakers they're about the same

Midrange Soundstage and imaging all very good for both speakers a tie

Highs both are a warm speaker meaning the highs are recessed not elevated you lose a little sparkle and detail you'll need to toe them in for that. But it's a tie

Power handling the signature handles more power and maintains composure better at high volumes but this is to be expected at the price increase the signatures will work a little better in a bigger room because of this

Setup the XL8 with that down firing woofer are a little more finicky with setup the signatures are easier to place

Sensitivity about the same
The signatures are easier to drive unless you cross the XL8 over at say 60 to 80hz you will need an amp
Measurements
both measure well for there price point the signatures measure a bit better cost more though they both have some unevenness at 1 to 5 kHz but not enough to keep the reviewers from enjoying the speakers and the treble is recessed or warm not elevated a lot of people will like this type of sound signature though

They lack some detail and clarity you'll get on higher priced speakers but for the money they sound great and do everything good just not great but that's to be expected at the price

At the price based on there reviews they are hard to beat

I'm looking to go to something less expensive in my bedroom setup these both are top choices for me

Hope that helps

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Ninja
One last thing I'm not impressed on the center channels for these two lines it would be better to go with either another one of the towers if you can manage it or a better center from another company those center channels won't keep up with the towers and multiple seating will be an issue with there design.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis