How does a 7.1 setup handle a ES/EX?

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
How does a 7.1 setup handle ES/EX .. and does anyone know how I turn my 6.1 5590 loose on my two rear (7.1) channels?

Do I run both wires into the rear center speaker connects on my 5590?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Cat,

I don't know if I would recommend hooking two speakers up to your one rear center channel. You will alter the resistance of your speakers by doing so. If you run two rear centers or bookshelves in series, load impedance increases – the more speakers, the higher the impedance. The most common reason for wanting to raise impedance is to lower acoustical output. Speaker output declines because the amplifier's power output decreases as the load impedance increases. Most amps are not designed to handle higher loads. All 6 channels of your amp need to run at the same power output.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
Is there another trick I can safely use?

Im giving up on my Marantz SR8500, but maybe I can get my hands on a RX-Z1 cheaply, although it only has a rear center channel on its 8.1. Short of that, ill be going for the Rx-Z9 or more likely the RX-V4600.

Not too much of an upgrade to go from the 5590 to any other Yamaha receiver to be worth it, at this point .. until the RX-V4600 comes out - soon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis