How do you power a subwoofer in a floor stander?

N

ned

Full Audioholic
I've a 12" subwoofer cone in my RBH 1266. If I decide not to use a separate sub for my HT, how should I set my receiver? Set to no sub and make them to large? Thanks.

Last edited:
B

brendy

Audioholic
"Set to no sub and make them to large"
Yes that is correct.Also the 12" driver is just a woofer.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Set to large & no sub. Did you decide on a receiver? Eventually you will want/need a separate amp to power these hogs.

Frequency Response: 27Hz - 20kHz±3dB
Sensitivity: 88dB (2.83V @ 1 Meter)
Power Handling: 250 Watts
Drive Units: (1) 12" Aluminum Woofer
(2) 6 1/2" Aluminum Woofer
(1) 1" Silk Dome Tweeter
Crossover Frequency: 100Hz, 2700Hz
Crossover: 24dB/Octave
Impedance: 4 Ohms

N

ned

Full Audioholic
No, I've not decided on a receiver. Still thinking about 4806 and separate sub amps for the 12" woofer. Any suggestions?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
No, I've not decided on a receiver. Still thinking about 4806 and separate sub amps for the 12" woofer. Any suggestions?
You do not need to, it is a woofer not a sub woofer.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
These speakers actually have very good bass response. With good amplification you should be able to hear at least down to 22Hz. Wired as large you are still missing the LFE signal which is only output through the subwoofer output of the receiver/preamp.

What you are asking may actually be possible. The 1266s look like the 661s with the addition of the (sub)woofer to handle frequencies below 100Hz. If the LF binding posts are wired only to the 12" driver through the 100Hz crossover then you may be able to wire this section as a passive sub to get the LFE signal. It is probably best to contact your salesman or RBH for specifics on this.

The 4806 is verry nice, but you will still need a separate amp especially if you use the SE (4 ohm) series to complete your HT setup.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
AVRat said:
These speakers actually have very good bass response. With good amplification you should be able to hear at least down to 22Hz. Wired as large you are still missing the LFE signal which is only output through the subwoofer output of the receiver/preamp.

What you are asking may actually be possible. The 1266s look like the 661s with the addition of the (sub)woofer to handle frequencies below 100Hz. If the LF binding posts are wired only to the 12" driver through the 100Hz crossover then you may be able to wire this section as a passive sub to get the LFE signal. It is probably best to contact your salesman or RBH for specifics on this.

The 4806 is verry nice, but you will still need a separate amp especially if you use the SE (4 ohm) series to complete your HT setup.
I've recently acquired a Parasound HCA with 200 watt ouput at 4 ohms x 2ch. I'm thinking of using this as amp for the 12" woofer connected to the LFE.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Nice amp! If you can, you might try to find a Parasound HCA-1205A for the rest of the system. Have you checked out the new Denon offerings to see if they meet your features needs/desires?

N

ned

Full Audioholic
AVRat said:
Nice amp! If you can, you might try to find a Parasound HCA-1205A for the rest of the system. Have you checked out the new Denon offerings to see if they meet your features needs/desires?
It doesn't look like dealers sell them anymore, Do you know where can I get one? Thanks.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
No, sorry. Didn't know if you were looking to go new or used.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis