How Do You Pick Atmos Content

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,

I am awaiting delivery of 4 ceiling speakers and want to line up some Atmos / DTS-X content. From the Dolby Atmos / DTS-X/ Auro-3D discussion thread, Gravity and MI Fallout are good choices. I went to Amazon and was immediately confused.
1) What is a normal price for Atmos / DTS-X blu-ray?
2) How can you be sure what audio format you are buying?

A) Equalizer 2 @ $27.96 (seems expensive to me) :
https://www.amazon.com/Equalizer-2-Blu-ray-Bill-Pullman/dp/B07FSWX7PH/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543963912&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=dolby+atmos+movies+blu+ray&psc=1
No mention of audio encoding.

B) MI Fallout @ 21.97 (about what I expect)
https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Impossible-Fallout-Tom-Cruise/dp/B07FDN2PBM/ref=tmm_frk_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
No mention of audio encoding.

C) Gravity @ $49 ($50 really?)
https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Special-Blu-ray-Sandra-Bullock/dp/B00PGHUJOO/ref=tmm_blu_title_16?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1543964292&sr=1-4
Still no mention

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Try blu-ray.com and see if their review mentions Atmos or DTS equivalent and which disk would have, 4K or straight bluray.

ps the web site shows Atmos for both editions for MI:Fallout
EQ2 only the 4K has it

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Equalizer both 1 and 2 are I think only Dts HDMA. ADTG has the 4k in Atmos and I think really likes it. I was not too disappointed with an bluray up mix.

Fallout is Atmos on bluray. Just make sure when you use the bluray.com to select the correct county. A lot of American releases on Bluray have Atmos/Dts:X where as due to different distributors other locations may not. :(

Gravity, only the special edition bluray appears to have the Atmos. The normal version is Dts HDMA.

Ready Player One, Kong Skull Island and Rampage are all worth a shot too for Atmos. Atomic Blonde and Crimson Peak are good for the Dts:X.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Equalizer both 1 and 2 are I think only Dts HDMA. ADTG has the 4k in Atmos and I think really likes it. I was not too disappointed with an bluray up mix.

Fallout is Atmos on bluray. Just make sure when you use the bluray.com to select the correct county. A lot of American releases on Bluray have Atmos/Dts:X where as due to different distributors other locations may not. :(

Gravity, only the special edition bluray appears to have the Atmos. The normal version is Dts HDMA.

Ready Player One, Kong Skull Island and Rampage are all worth a shot too for Atmos. Atomic Blonde and Crimson Peak are good for the Dts:X.
Boy, it seems it is a head scratchier:mad: All the hoops one must jump to find what is what.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
The vast majority of the 4K UHD discs come with either Atmos (mostly) or Dts:X. Only films from 2013 onwards are likely true Atmos/Dts:X, earlier than this, and it is likely a studio up mix. This can be very good or not really worthwhile. Blurays are far more hit and miss. The majority of blurays come with Dts HDMA. To a much lesser extend Dolby True HD. Only the odd examples come with Atmos or Dts:X. Of the object orientated formats Atmos is by far the most likely currently, then Dts:X and only very few Auro3d (mostly European or Japanese).

Any disc (without Atmos/Dts:X),Dvd, Bluray, etc can be up mixed by either Dolby DSU or Dts Neural X to the near equivalent of Atmos or Dts:X. Sometimes it is very close, other times it is really not worth it. Largely depends upon the type of film and as a general rule if it sounded good in 5.1 or 7.1 then chances are it will up mix well.

The www.bluray.com site will mostly tell you the format of the audio if the disc has been released for a while (few weeks). It can be a lot TBA on the up coming releases. Due to the different distributors world wide then the audio can be different. The US has the highest number of releases in bluray of Atmos/Dts:X although they can be region locked. So this is something to consider when buying from other regions. All 4K UHD discs are region free, although the bluray that normally accompany s them may not be.

The push is to get you to buy the 4K UHD, at a premium of course. Blurays with the Atmos/Dts:X are more of a consolation prize. Some Actors or franchises are much more likely to have Atmos/Dts:X blurays than others, so Tom Cruise or DC superhero movies are the most likely. Aquaman when it is released has a very high probability of Atmos. Tom's new Top Gun for next year or new Fantastic Beasts are too. Disney, Mavel, Lucasfilms are a no no currently and you would need the 4K UHD.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I don't I buy the movies I want to see and hopefully they come in Atmos. If they don't oh well. But I'm really happy when they are as I like Atmos more so then my upgrade to 4k HDR and Dolby Vision.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Thank you Bookmark for explaining how you choose your formats. As you guessed, I am interested in both Atmos and DTS-X content. Bottom line: I should be good with 4K discs. in the meanwhile, I went to Target and bought a few discs that were done in ATMOS (MI, Atomic Blonde, etc). I prefer to shop from my couch and was hoping I could buy online, however Amazon's description ere vague.
Additionally, I was hoping to find a "Netflix type" rental service that offers 4K discs so I can cycle through without having to purchase. any suggestions from anyone?

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Yes you are good to go with the 4K. If some reason the 4K did not have Atmos/Dts:X then nothing else will either.

Netflix, in particular, but also Prime has Atmos content, however this is really just DD+ with Atmos metadata. DD+ is a compressed audio format, so only real discs will have the uncompressed versions. The streaming services do not currently offer Dts:X in any form. I have tried Netflix and the Atmos it does work on a PC, xbox one, Nvidia Shield, Apple Tv and possibly the top Roku. Some current TVs, (2017-2018) will support DD+ and Atmos via Netflix, over Arc, but you would need to check the particular model. Once eARC becomes a thing, no current Tvs have this yet, although most of the new AVRs from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha do, then things may improve further.

There are a number of services which sell or rent movies, Apple Store, Google Movies, Prime and a few others. I have not used them so I cannot truly comment on the quality for either picture or sound. Others maybe able to help here. However if it is the same as the Netflix/Prime then the quality is ok and sound can work fine.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Redbox machines have UHD discs. I usually grab those on weekends. The selection isn’t perfect but I like most action movies.

As far as discs I buy, the best time on Amazon to buy for cheap is Black Friday. I buy UHD if price is not outrageous, otherwise regular Blu-ray. Some regular Blu-ray Discs have Atmos on them. Easy to check that on blu-ray.com. :)

Last edited:
A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the help. I went to Target and bought several Atmos movies. I used the zoom on my cell phone camera to read the back of the bluray cases... Getting old is B**tch ;-)
=> MI, Meg, Atomic Blonde, Ant Man Wasp
So far I've watched the Meg. I wasn't impressed with sound. Hopefully the others will be better. I'll look for a Redbox near me. I'm surprised Netflix doesn't have an offering. I called Netflix and rep said she has never had anyone request Atmos/DTS-X before. I don't think she knew what I was talking about.

I now see bluray.com shows audio format. I could swear the first time I checked I didn't see the audio format, but now it is there clear as day. Refer to previous comment regarding getting old ;-)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis