How do you measure noise levels?

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Does anyone know how to measure noise levels. I live in an condo and have a nieghbor who is always banging on the floor when ever I play my music/movie laud (in his opinion). I plan on following the city bylaw exactly which says I can make noise between 7 am and 10 pm at a certian dB (not exactly sure of what it is yet), but I want to play it at its max and have a way to measure and prove it. Is there any device which measures that?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes indeed, it's called an SPL meter, or Sound Pressure Level. You can pick a good one up at Radio Shack for $40. Just set it up on a tripod (so you don't induce error from your movement) wherever you want and let it measure what kind of stuff levels you're getting. I'm not sure which setting to use (I think it's the "slow" one, or whatever the equivalent is on that SPL meter). If you have any more questions, post a thread somewhere and someone with more experiences with the device should be able to help you. BTW, this is the same trusty device that all of the Audioholics reviewers use when they set up their systems.

Oh! And don't forget, it's a good investment because it can help you set up your system and get your levels matched and your frequency response flattened up (showing which areas to tweak for response).

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Are the sound level measurements made inside or outside your apartment? If they are to be made outside you should check the applicable statutes. The Rat Shack SPL meter is a good buy. I've owned one for more than twenty years. I live in a row house in the inner city. My neighbors are very tolerant. Of course, I don't play music loudly after 10PM or before 9AM unless it's a weekend. On weekends I may play music until 1 or 2AM if I'm having a party otherwise it's down and out at midnight. :cool:

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
JoeE SP9 said:
I may play music until 1 or 2AM if I'm having a party otherwise it's down and out at midnight. :cool:
wow you are lucky where you live! the city bylaws here asay no laud music after 10pm, and my neighbors are not just untolerant but use their "retirement years" as an excuse to not put up with my noise.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
There has to be some standard your city uses. This would be a specific SPL (sound pressure level) at a given distance from the source. You need to find out what the figures are. A lot of cities have noise ordinances. Most of the time they are only enforced with respect to loud car stereos or portable boomboxes. If your neighbors are that intolerant maybe you should consider relocating. It could be the type of music you play. Lots of people don't want to hear Def Leopard at 2AM. Have you tried discussing this problem with your neighbors? :cool:

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
JoeE SP9 said:
There has to be some standard your city uses. This would be a specific SPL (sound pressure level) at a given distance from the source. You need to find out what the figures are. A lot of cities have noise ordinances. Most of the time they are only enforced with respect to loud car stereos or portable boomboxes. If your neighbors are that intolerant maybe you should consider relocating. It could be the type of music you play. Lots of people don't want to hear Def Leopard at 2AM. Have you tried discussing this problem with your neighbors? :cool:
Yes I have, but he just gets red in the face and can't be reasoned with. He just wants it quite all the time. I don't want to move because its a great place and I am makin good money of the increase in its property value. I am sort of stuck as to what to do.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Vancouver said:
Yes I have, but he just gets red in the face and can't be reasoned with. He just wants it quite all the time. I don't want to move because its a great place and I am makin good money of the increase in its property value. I am sort of stuck as to what to do.

Since it's a condo, you own it, you may want to consider some acoustic dampening, redoing the ceiling and maybe some of the walls.
A small price to pay for both of your sanity :D

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is renting a sound meter.
When I used to help design mechnical HVAC&R equipment we had to run on-site sound measurements. We had on numerous occasions went to an AV rental store, the kind that sell & rent equpment for special presentations i.e. meetings, concerts, large seminars. They used to rent out many different high quality sound meters with calibration for about $30-40 Cdn per day. They even showed you how to use them and had a full manual.

Maybe worthless info. :rolleyes:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
farscaper said:
They used to rent out many different high quality sound meters with calibration for about $30-40 Cdn per day. They even showed you how to use them and had a full manual.

Maybe worthless info. :rolleyes:
Wow, this reminds me, I was at an auction[business liquidation] a few months ago, and there was this nice SPL/RTA with calibrator. I had no clue what it was worth, but I bid up to $200... and stopped. The other guy got it for $210. Later, looking up online to see what I did not win, that guy got a great deal. It was a $5000 state of the art unit. If only I knew. Chris sad now. :(

-Chris

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Since it's a condo, you own it, you may want to consider some acoustic dampening, redoing the ceiling and maybe some of the walls.
A small price to pay for both of your sanity :D
I have thought of that, but I have brick walls and beautiful 100 year + old cedar beams. Think about maybe getting buttkicker so I dont have to use my sub....just and option

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Vancouver said:
I feel for you. If you're ever in the Philadelphia PA area come visit. We'll quaf a few beers and play some music loudly. If my neighbors complain we will invite them to join the party. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis