How do I post new thread?

RoseyVelvet

RoseyVelvet

Audiophyte
Hello everyone. I want to use p to 4 passive speakers for my roku tv. I have 2 sony ss-TS73 and 2 KLH 403A speakers. Do I need an amp or something else?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well it posted....TVs generally will not power external passive speakers so an avr (audio video receiver) is likely your best solution here. What specific model of tv just to be sure?

ps welcome aboard!

RoseyVelvet

RoseyVelvet

Audiophyte
Thanks. Yes, the recievers are pretty expensive and not worth it to fire up these cheap speakers. Recievers generally have radio and amp, correct? The Tv is a TCL with Roku. #32S3750. I have seen these amplifiers (no radio) on Amazon that range from $30 to $200. What do I look for when buying an amp? Impedence and wattage levels? Another thought is. My soundbar quit on me and it uses an HDMI to connect. Can I get an HDMI to open speaker wire adaptor and run the speakers through HDMI? I figure if the sound bar can run through the HDMI, can the passive speakers do the same? oh wait, the soundbar has it's own power supply, so that is why that worked (I think). I tried the RCA hook ups on the TV and didn't work. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Receivers are a combination of multi input pre-amp, tuner/internet and amps. With your tv alone you might look into powered/active speakers, but adjustment of volume will depend on the tv's options.

You'll find 2ch amps but you said you had four speakers, so a four channel amp is better (and generally avrs come with 5ch amps and above at a decent price). Soundbars I wouldn't ever use myself as they are not components so much as specific use units. Generally you look at the spec of your speakers and choose a suitable amp in terms of power/impedance needs. Don't overthin it, tho. The avr is the best way to deal with hdmi and your tv and newer game consoles and optical disc players. Do you really need multich or is 2ch stereo good for you?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis