How do I install speakers with a drop ceiling?

P

Paul Jubick

Enthusiast
so I pulled out the tile and the steel load-bearing support in my basement is right there. I dont see how I can attach a speaker mount to it, so about a foot above is wood. But is there a mount that can reach that far. I would need a flat metal slab about 18in long to attach to the wood and hang low enough to mount my energy take speaker. Ugh! has anyone tried this?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Question is a little lite on the details.

Whet type of speakers?
Are they speakers specifically meant to be ceiling mounted?
Can you wall mount them?

If they are surround speakers that happen to have mounting brackets, I'd try wall mounting them.
It's not a good application ceiling grid mounting.

It's hard to discern without photos, but if you get a clear spot, a ceiling speaker will mount just fine to a drop tile and there isn't enough weight for it to pull out. If you're still concerned you can add a piece of 1/4" plywood above the tile (the same size as the tile) for support. Most drop ceilings I've seen can hold my weight at the anchor points.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Has anyone installed their Atmos speakers in a drop ceiling.

I just bought a new house and my new home theatre will have a drop ceiling. I think my speakers will be to heavy.

Should I put plywood to help support the weight?

I know it can be done just want to know if anyone has done it and can give some advice

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Has anyone installed their Atmos speakers in a drop ceiling.

I just bought a new house and my new home theatre will have a drop ceiling. I think my speakers will be to heavy.

Should I put plywood to help support the weight?

I know it can be done just want to know if anyone has done it and can give some advice
I think the advice is already right there and posted...
If you want good support across a drop ceiling, you can install a piece of plywood to span the tile for good support. It's cheap and works well enough.

Some manufacturers also make tile bridges specifically designed for their ceiling speakers to span 2x2 tile grids to support their speakers, but this is more common for commercial speakers.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I think the advice is already right there and posted...
If you want good support across a drop ceiling, you can install a piece of plywood to span the tile for good support. It's cheap and works well enough.

Some manufacturers also make tile bridges specifically designed for their ceiling speakers to span 2x2 tile grids to support their speakers, but this is more common for commercial speakers.
Yeah I just wanted clarity.

So just plywood 2x2 on the speaker tile? Is that correct

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How heavy are the speakers? If you’re really concerned, I would just replace the foam tile with plywood. Or! Take the false ceiling out altogether. What height is it currently, and how much would you gain? The added height might be worth it. OTOH, you could move the speakers/tiles to experiment with placement.

Q

Quickster2

Audiophyte
I mounted my Klipsch CDT5800C in my drop ceiling on supports I made out of 2 X 2's. Plenty solid. I also taped the 2 X 2 ceiling tile frame joints around the speakers to minimize any localized vibration that might of occurred. Above the drop ceiling I insulated the complete lower level with:
PINK NEXT GEN™ SOUND ATTENUATION BATTS (SAB)

My ceiling tiles were also sound and fire rated. Spent a bit more but very satisfied all around.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic

Those are my speakers! Do around 7lbs.

If I put plywood 2x2 to help support the one tile 2x2 that will make that tile string but what about the whole drop ceiling system.

I have neve reinstalled a drop ceiling so I don't know how much weight they can hold.

During the walkthrough I checked and there is roxul safe and sound between the jouc

Q

Quickster2

Audiophyte
My drop ceiling support framework was plenty strong IMO. Light fixtures, HVAC ductwork and vents, my natural gas line and electrical all ran across the top. Plenty sturdy.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
My drop ceiling support framework was plenty strong IMO. Light fixtures, HVAC ductwork and vents, my natural gas line and electrical all ran across the top. Plenty sturdy.
So having 4 ceiling speakers layed out properly each weighing 7 pounds should be fine you are saying.

Q

Quickster2

Audiophyte
So having 4 ceiling speakers layed out properly each weighing 7 pounds should be fine you are saying.
Yes based on my experience no issues at all. if you wanted to get really technical you could use a pull gauge and see what weight it will bear and what level of deflection you might see. Based on my ceiling it was never a concern. My biggest issue was arranging the speakers symmetrically as there were beams, ductwork, etc., in the way. good luck.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Triad has special drop ceiling mounting brackets designed for many of their in-ceiling speakers and subs.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
I am looking to add 2 or 4 in ceiling speakers to my drop ceiling basement theater. Just started looking into back boxes, I am no audiophile by any means, I am curious what anyone has to say about these options or if they have other recommendations. If I do 2 speakers should the be near the screen aimed at the seating or should they be directly above seating? Appreciate any feedback!
Directly over or slightly forward of main seating position for 2 atmos. Review the Dolby atmos speaker placements for angles.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Directly over or slightly forward of main seating position for 2 atmos. Review the Dolby atmos speaker placements for angles.
Just a bit in front of the seating area, aimed towards the seats. Dolby Atmos set up will show you this too

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis