How do I connect 5.1 channel out to 7.1 ch in?

M

mrbb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>This seems simple but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere. I have a new Sony progressive scan DVD/SACD player with 5.1 outputs that I know I need to use for SACD. I have a Denon AVR-5803 that has 7.1 channel input. My problem is which inputs do I use?

The DVD outputs are labeled as follows:

Front L/R
Rear L/R
Center
SW

The Receiver inputs are labeled as follows:

Front L/R
Center
SW
Surr L/R
Surr Back L/R

The Center and SW are obvious. I do have a 7.1 channel speaker setup. I would think that I should connect &quot;Front&quot; to &quot;Front&quot; and &quot;Rear&quot; to &quot;Surr Back&quot; but I'm not entirely sure.

If &quot;Rear&quot; output on the DVD player means &quot;Surround,&quot; it could conceivably go to the front surround channel. Similarly the &quot;Front&quot; could go to the &quot;Surr&quot; input but then I have nothing connected to my main speakers.

The only reason I am confused by this is that the Denon default setup is to not use the rear inputs, which seems odd if 5.1 channel uses a rear channel.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.</font>

M

mrbb

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I'm posting my own reply because two sources have advised me to connect the &quot;rear&quot; output from the DVD to the &quot;surr&quot; input on the receiver, and *not* the &quot;surr back.&quot; &nbsp; &nbsp; According to them SACD does not support a true &quot;rear surround channel&quot;. I don't know if that's true or not but at least it's an answer.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have an onkyo 989 ver 2 , which is a 7.1 reciever just like your Denon but I use an onkyo dvd-a/SACD player which has the 7.1 outputs which means it has the outputs for the back surround speakers. With just the 5.1 output you could either use your back surrounds or your side surrounds, which ever one sounds better to you. Hope this helps.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis