How connect cable coaxial to receiver

B

bypasscable

Audiophyte
Total newbie here...

I have a Yamaha RX V663 Receiver that is connected to plasma screen via a HDMI Cable. The HDMI goes thru the wall so I can't remove it without doing a major remodel.

Question: I have basic cable via coaxial and I want to watch it on the plasma. I cannot connect the coaxial to my TV directly. What are my most economical options? Can I connect directly to my receiver if not what other devices can I purchase as a work around? My cable company charges approx. $100/yr just to use their cable box so I would like to find a more economical long term alternative.

Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Total newbie here...

I have a Yamaha RX V663 Receiver that is connected to plasma screen via a HDMI Cable. The HDMI goes thru the wall so I can't remove it without doing a major remodel.

Question: I have basic cable via coaxial and I want to watch it on the plasma. I cannot connect the coaxial to my TV directly. What are my most economical options? Can I connect directly to my receiver if not what other devices can I purchase as a work around? My cable company charges approx. $100/yr just to use their cable box so I would like to find a more economical long term alternative.

Thanks!
Sorry, but you will need to use their cable box.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You need something with a TV tuner, not necessarily the cable box. This needs to be made within the last 5 years, though. If it's much older, it won't work with any digital cable signal.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You need something with a TV tuner, not necessarily the cable box. This needs to be made within the last 5 years, though. If it's much older, it won't work with any digital cable signal.
He would be wise to check this out with his service provider before investing money in such a device.

This might be true if the cable company sends unencrypted digital channels which, if it's like my local Comcast, ain't happening. As it stands, the only guaranteed advice been given so far it that of TLS guy.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Option b) Economical - Yes, but highly technical - rent a cable card from cable company - $5-7 a month and purchase your own tuner with support for cable card, like Ceton Quad tuner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815706001&Tpk=ceton

It will allow to do recording of 4 channels at same time plus enhanced DVR functionality - like 12 hour pause (cable boxes do only 1h), multi room clients - up-to 5 clients - xbox360 is good choice for a client.

Plus DVR box rent from Cable companies with atleast $15 a month plus remote monthly cost another dollar or two.

This solution is hard to implement, but highly economical in the long term, especially if you have multiple TV's in the house.

B

bypasscable

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis