How can I minimize projector noise?

M

mark_wininger

Audiophyte
I just installed an Infocus 4805 projector on the ceiling directly above the viewing couch.

It gives a good picture on the low power lamp setting, with barely detectable cooling fan noise.

It gives a BETTER picture on the higher lamp setting, but the fan is MUCH noisier.

I called Infocus and was told there was no adjustment for a lower fan speed on the higher lamp setting.

Has anyone had success in reducing fan noise?
Can I cut an internal wire to the high speed circiut of the fan, withiut burning out the lamp and electronics?
Can I build a vented box out of noise reducing foam/ material? (where do you get the foam/ material?
Does some company sell a noise reducing enclosure?

Please let me know of your suggestions or experiences.

Thanks, Mark

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You're asking about a "hush box". These are very common. Check out this link for some instructions on building one. There are many different ways, and I suggest that you post this question on AVS forums and the forums at projectorcentral.com as well.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
The 4805 is a very bright projector every one I have installed in
light controlled and non light controlled rooms Econ mode was the correct setting for home theater applications.

The high lamp setting is a presentation mode and should not be used. Econ mode out of the box is very close to D-65k only minor adjustments are needed depending on screen material. Another benefit is longer lamp life I am very surprised Infocus did not inform you when you called them. A quick check with VE will verify this ;)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I agree with RLA. I think you should do all your projector adjustments with a Avia or DVE disc, with the PJ in Eco mode. You should end up with one heck of a image if set-up correctly.

However If this is not what your after... Then may I suggest if you are electronically handy. Also if PJ is out of warranty. You can buy the same size fan for these that are ball bearing, with less noise. JUST MAKE SURE, it is pushing the same amount of cfm's (or more) with the same amount of voltage applied.

I do have about 5 different fan company's that I look to. Here is a link for one.. Delta. They have about 200+ models to choose from. However they are not to much known for the quietness. They are more known for pushing maximum cfm's and reliability. But they do have some quiet fans to choose from..
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/dcfans_main.asp

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
brian32672 said:
I agree with RLA. I think you should do all your projector adjustments with a Avia or DVE disc, with the PJ in Eco mode. You should end up with one heck of a image if set-up correctly.
Or heck, even a THX optimizer disc. Just to get the correct greyscale.

M

mark_wininger

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thank you to all for all the good info.

I may just try to use the projector on the low setting and try to optimize with my new screen delivering next week (a Carada 88" bright white Criterion)

I'm a little new to this; where do I get a THX or Avia or DVE optimizing disc? and how do I use it?

Mark

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I may just try to use the projector on the low setting and try to optimize with my new screen delivering next week (a Carada 88" bright white Criterion)
Yikes! the 4805 will be plenty bright on that screen material and screen size
in econo mode ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis