How can I divert the lower frequencies to the sub?

L

Larkston Zinaspic

Enthusiast
I'm kind of new to the sub thing, but I'm looking to crossover at about 40-60Hz and relieve the mains of bass the sub will be handling. I'm using separates for music without bass management. What's the best way to do this? No one seems to recommend running the speakers and sub in series, so I'm wondering how everyone else does it.

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
If you're running separates without bass management, then you have to run the speaker feeds through the sub and use its crossover. You'll want to cross it over higher than that though... 60Hz would be the lowest crossover I'd consider in a standard system. 80Hz is the standard.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
for 40-60hz what you really need is an external crossover. something like the behringer crossovers. problem is, many audiophiles complain that a unit like that "changes" the sound of the speakers.

most built in low pass crossovers of subwoofers are fixed at 80hz, for example, you feed your subwoofer the full range signal, connect your speakers to the speaker level outputs, and then you have relieved your speakers of 80hz and below. <- this is the simplest solution

another option for you is to look at hsuresearch.com, I think they have some bass management stuff.

and yet another option is to buy an fmod crossover (that's IF you have a separate preamp and amp setup) <- this fmod looks just like an RCA jack, except longer

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you're running separates without bass management, then you have to run the speaker feeds through the sub and use its crossover. You'll want to cross it over higher than that though... 60Hz would be the lowest crossover I'd consider in a standard system. 80Hz is the standard.
The high level output from nearly all subs is FIXED, not adjustable. The frequency adjust only affects the low pass going to the sub itself. SOME are 80Hz, like HSU, not ALL, so check the literature before you buy.

L

Larkston Zinaspic

Enthusiast
The 40-60Hz recommendation came grom the manufacturer, although right now I seem to prefer the sub's crossover at right about 60Hz.

L

Larkston Zinaspic

Enthusiast
for 40-60hz what you really need is an external crossover. something like the behringer crossovers. problem is, many audiophiles complain that a unit like that "changes" the sound of the speakers.

most built in low pass crossovers of subwoofers are fixed at 80hz, for example, you feed your subwoofer the full range signal, connect your speakers to the speaker level outputs, and then you have relieved your speakers of 80hz and below. <- this is the simplest solution

another option for you is to look at hsuresearch.com, I think they have some bass management stuff.

and yet another option is to buy an fmod crossover (that's IF you have a separate preamp and amp setup) <- this fmod looks just like an RCA jack, except longer

Which FMOD would be appropriate for my particular application? I've never seen or used one, so how would I install it in my system? (I am using an amp & preamp) Would I then be able to run my speakers & sub in parallel?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
tell us what your amp and preamp is, what you mean by parallel?
so we can make more specific advices.

L

Larkston Zinaspic

Enthusiast
My preamp is an Audio Research LS2B, and my amp is an Odyssey Audio Dual Mono, and the sub is an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus.

Outlaw recommends that the best connection type for their subs is two separate lead pairs coming from the same amp channel, one pair should run to the sub and the second pair to the speakers: parallel. However, the mains will be running full range that way, which is not what I intended.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
nice setup!

anyway, did you use the setup found on page 6 of the manual "DIAGRAM 2" for "connecting to a system with no preamp outputs"?
http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/lfmmanual.pdf

there is no mention in the manual if using the high level outputs send a crossedover signal to the speakers, I will look around the other forums for you for more details.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the spec sheet on page 9 of the HSU VTF3 mk II manual
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf.pdf

which is (If I read correctly) almost the same as the outlaw LFM subwoofer ...

says it only has a low pass crossover.

so in short, you're gonna need an external bass manager.

the Velodyne SMS-1 does IT and EQ's the subwoofer as well for 400+ USD
the HSU high pass filter for 100 bucks http://hsuresearch.com/products/high-pass-filter.html

or this ...
http://hsuresearch.com/products/high-end-crossover.html

here is the link to where I saw the fmods, I do not know if this site is reliable, I have not tried it myself. transact with them at your own risk. maybe someone will chime in if they have done business with them.

http://store.hlabs.com/

L

Larkston Zinaspic

Enthusiast
Just an update:

I've tried the Hsu HPF and the FMODs, and I think the FMODs are the most transparent so far. However, now I'm also considering the BFD...guess this could take awhile.:rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis