How about some pre amps, Yamaha and Denon?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Being around these forums for quite some time, I see a lot of people love to use Yamaha's and Denon's as pre-amps and add external amps. Why don't Yamaha or Denon make a few models (1500, 2500, 2805, 3805) without the power supply? The unit could be smaller and therefore more manageable since there will be another piece in the rack. Also, the price could be lower.

I doubt having all models like this would be good because the budget models usually are bought due to budgets...those buyers wouldn't want to purchase separates. Doesn't seem like this idea would cost these companies much more money and could sell a decent number of units.

I don't know. Just a thought.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The reason why is if you take a typical receiver from Yamaha/Denon and sell it as a preamp only with no power amps, it would still cost the end user roughly the same since they would sell significantly less quanities and would realize a much higher manufacturing cost. That being said, Denon will be offering separates soon, but will also be rather costly too.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, that'd be a good idea for the 5805, considering that it's a foot high! :eek:

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
One other thing to note is the Yamaha RVX 2500 as a pre amp will outperform many entry level Pre-amps at 2x the price The analog pre outs on receivers was the limiting factor in using them as a dedicated Pre amp. That has now been corrected with the ultra quite analog pre outs found on the RVX-2500 ;)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
RLA said:
One other thing to note is the Yamaha RVX 2500 as a pre amp will outperform many entry level Pre-amps at 2x the price )
I think that's largely true for most of the better known brands too. One way to look at is 'buy a receiver, get the amps for free' because as noted it would likely cost the same with or without the amplifier section.

G

George

Audioholic Intern
gene said:
. That being said, Denon will be offering separates soon, but will also be rather costly too.
Any idea when they will appear Gene, and roughly how costly?

B

boe

Audioholic
At CES, the reps expressed great interest in this topic. Both Denon and Yamaha hinted that they were working on one right now. Not sure if they will be vaporware but they sure seem interested in the topic.

G

George

Audioholic Intern
Denon will be offering separates soon, but will also be rather costly too.[/QUOTE]

Any offers Gene, as to when?

Harmon

Audioholic Intern
RLA said:
One other thing to note is the Yamaha RVX 2500 as a pre amp will outperform many entry level Pre-amps at 2x the price The analog pre outs on receivers was the limiting factor in using them as a dedicated Pre amp. That has now been corrected with the ultra quite analog pre outs found on the RVX-2500 ;)
Is there any reason to think that the pre-amp outputs of the Yammy 2500 would be better/quieter than the H/K 435/635? If so, why? Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis