Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I felt like relating my story to show that it's not only deadbeats and drug addicts who bought more than they could afford who are suffering from this housing market problem.

The woman and I have pretty nice income. We save upwards of 70% of our income too, since our rent isn't terrible and we don't spend high. We've got plenty in the bank, and both are jobs are pretty stable.

But, where we rent, the owners are in trouble. Job loss and such forced them into looking for a refi, and the bank approved it 2 weeks ago. Now they turned it down because the LTV went down in the past 2 weeks. The bank asked for another couple K, and for a couple that just had their income decrease, that'll be hard on top of the 60k they already gave the bank to refi.

We live in Newark. I love my Newark, and I don't care about all the negative publicity. However, to rent in my part of Newark is next to impossible. Every place is always taken, and the ones that aren't are really old places that weren't maintained right. Our current apartment, I love very much, but if I am forced to move, I will have no choice but to move to a much higher rent area, like Newport in Jersey City, to maintain the quality of environment, or I will have to settle for a worse place. Unfortunately, we're right on the tip of having a nice down payment available to put down on this house we want in my neighborhood.

It is builder owned, since he hasn't been able to sell it, and he's asking a price in line with the values from 2007. Since the rest of the neighborhood has lost almost 40% in home values in the past couple months, his $600k asking price is highly unreasonable right now and we refuse to pay it.

While we could easily afford to move to a higher rent location, this would also take us away from the cultural aspects of the neighborhood we live in, as well as take me away from former students of mine that I still mentor and advise at my alma matre.

I'm not complaining one bit however, as there is always food on our table, gas in our tank, and money stacked up in case of any unforeseen event. I personally feel, and my fiance agrees, that we would have no problem taking a more significant tax hit on our income IF it went towards the right causes and we weren't the only economic class footing that bill.

I don't expect people who bust their humps making minimum wage in high cost-of-living areas to foot the bill. Taking $1000 from me would hurt me less than taking $100 from them, or even $10 from them. I also don't expect the highest of earners to front the bill, because taking most of their money isn't fair if I get to keep half of mine. However, I believe the mentality that "successful" people don't owe anyone anything is unfounded.

We all rise to success in the shadow of others, and we all cast a shadow on others in our rise to success. Every time a 25 year old bags my groceries at Shoprite, I don't say they have that job because they didn't put in the work to get to where I am. I say they have that job because the system requires them. If everyone could be rich and have high paying jobs, who would do the common laborer jobs, the dirty grunt work, the unappreciated burger flipping and fry hopping and bag packing and street cleaning and trash dumping, to name a few examples.

I never look at anyone as less than myself or more than myself. Even in my worst of times, I have felt that I am blessed to simply be here, breathing and able-bodied. When I discussed the housing situation with the home owners, who are now my good friends, I told them to let me know if I can help somehow. Not because I have to, but because I am fortunate enough to be able to.

It doesn't matter how anyone got into this mess. We can all get through it, every single one of us, if we all, every single one of us, take our responsibility to each other seriously. No one should be quick to judge another unless they have walked in that other pair of shoes, and even then we should stray from doing so.

A quick example of what I think. A good bud of mine said that no one should be in this situation, and they shouldn't have spent beyond their means. I asked "But bud, what if they lost their jobs?" His response was "They should have saved up enough to sustain themselves until they find a new job. I keep a year's worth of salary saved at all times in case it happens to me."

I asked him "But what if you lose your job for more than a year?" He said "That'll never happen to me."

That, right there my friends, is the base problem. The belief that "it could never happen to me." It can happen, to any of us, at any time. Rest their souls, there were people standing and sitting in 1 WTC on 91101 that never thought they would watch a plane come barreling right into the building they were in. There were people that saw it happen, right in front of their very eyes, and never thought they'd watch two 106 story buildings collapse floor by floor. I could go on, but no.

We're all in it together, from the children fishing for food scraps in a stream of raw sewage in the middle of Sudan while their parents corpses rot in an open mass grave to the billionaire venture capitalist eating caviar and flying around the world in private jets.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't know that I would assume you'll have to move if it's sold or foreclosed. If the bank ends up owning it, they'll probably have a property manager run it until it does sell. If the rents are far below the local market rate, expect it to increase but as long as you can afford it, stay if you want.

If the current owner only needs a few thousand, why not suggest that he raise the rent slightly for everyone for a specified time and put the additional money in an escrow account? If anyone is receiving assistance, they may be able to ask for more. I would also have them look into a different lender and for assistance for themselves.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I suggested a few lenders I know of that are good and work well with buyers.

See, I'm less worried about us and more worried about them.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone wanna comment on the cost of housing?

I tend to think too much gov't as usual, but some have suggested other problems like....

Real estate companies buying up properties for liquidity.
Urban sprawl and emptiness.
Zoning regulations.

I'm sure I'm falling way short on key examples. Don't understand why wood is so expensive? (The stop-and-start-again of covid probably didn't help.)

jinjuku

jinjuku

When my parents bought a house there was 3 billion of us... More of us now and the same resource footprint. Global population is expected to top out at 14B.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Good summary....

https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/160xi5x

Not enough inventory. Constrained supply makes prices go up.

Interest rates jumping faster than people can wrap their heads around makes them hesitant to sell, so there are fewer transactions, which compounds the above - available supply is even more constrained than overall supply.

Limited supply and high prices push more people to rent - and rents go up. High rents make real estate more attractive as an investment - so more corporations get into the market on the demand side, alongside individual homebuyers. So constrained supply is paired with increased demand.

Corporations tend to have lots of capital to spend, thanks in part to years of quantitative easing, so they can bid prices higher. (Also, that quantitative easing caused inflation which in turn caused the rapid rise in interest rates - see above.)

There are a LOT of factors conspiring to make this market crazy. And a lot of them were artificially caused by governmental policies. I think we need policies specifically targeted at disrupting the factors above in order to bring sanity back to this market. (Also, time.)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis