Hot off the presses, Sound United is acquiring Onkyo/Pioneer

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmmm, there is a clear distinction between the 2.

Realistically, it is just about impossible to manufacture anything with only USA sourced parts.
"Anything" is a bit strong, but for stuff like modern receivers, that is probably so.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
what about Sony?
Sound United = Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, DefTech, Polk, Classe, Boston Acoustics.

Not sure if having Onkyo, Pioneer, Polk, and DefTech is adding a high-end image to the company.

Sony doing anything with home audio systems? Next thing you know they'll stop making AVR altogether. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sony doing anything with home audio systems? Next thing you know they'll stop making AVR altogether. :D
It would not surprise me if Sony did stop manufacturing AVRs. AVR sales in general have been on the decline. That probably helped in making Onkyo/Pioneer affordable for Sound United. I wouldn't be surprised if Sound United simply shutdown or greatly reduced product lines from Onkyo and Pioneer so that there is less competition for Denon and Marantz products. It's a shrinking market, so why have all these brands fighting for the same consumer space? It's not like anyone else is going to enter this market.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
I'm actually surprised this has been allowed to happen. Remember when big appliance maker Electrolux tried to acquire GE?? The Department of Justice stepped in and squashed the deal citing there would be no more competition left so GE sold to Haier. Who's left now, Yamaha?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm actually surprised this has been allowed to happen. Remember when big appliance maker Electrolux tried to acquire GE?? The Department of Justice stepped in and squashed the deal citing there would be no more competition left so GE sold to Haier. Who's left now, Yamaha?
Oh, there's plenty of competition from the giant Yamaha company who make just about everything under the sun. :D

Amps - check
Pre-pros - check
Integrated Amps - check
AVRs - check
Turntables - check
$100,000 yachts/boats - check
$28,000 grand pianos - check
$21,000 motorcycles - check

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Oh, there's plenty of competition from the giant Yamaha company who make just about everything under the sun. :D

Amps - check
Pre-pros - check
Integrated Amps - check
AVRs - check
Turntables - check
$13,000 motorcycles - check
you think they trying to put the squeeze on Yamaha? All I know is my 7790 i got for 299.00 from A4L is the best deal i ever made on a AVR. Yamaha has given me 5 updates in the last two year's. My Nad processor paid 3K crapped out in less than a month. Onkyo 3 AVR'S crapped out, Harman kardon 3600 crapped out..Cheap ole Yamaha refurbish 299.00 with pre-outs has performed flawlessly 2+ years..

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief

Amps - check
Pre-pros - check
Integrated Amps - check
AVRs - check
Turntables - check
$21,000 motorcycles - check

Hey, where found that photo of Genes boat? ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
you think they trying to put the squeeze on Yamaha? All I know is my 7790 i got for 299.00 from A4L is the best deal i ever made on a AVR. Yamaha has given me 5 updates in the last two year's. My Nad processor paid 3K crapped out in less than a month. Onkyo 3 AVR'S crapped out, Harman kardon 3600 crapped out..Cheap ole Yamaha refurbish 299.00 with pre-outs has performed flawlessly 2+ years..
I don't think Yamaha worries too much about SU acquiring Onkyo/Pioneer/Polk/DefTech. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think they should combine all four brands into a new brand, DOMP Audio (Denon-Onkyo-Marantz-Pioneer).

I'd love to brag about buying a DOMP Audio receiver. :)

A little more seriously, it looks like it's now Yamaha in one corner, and Denon-Marantz-Onkyo-Pioneer in the other corner, as far as big name AVRs go.
Don't forget Sony!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They days of anti-monopoly government are gone. This deal doesn't even scratch the surface of what's being allowed.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Don't forget Sony!
We haven't! ;)
I always liked Sony, myself. They have been the standard for me for a very long time. Only recently (last year) did I consider not owning Sony as a receiver. Hell, If I could go back and redo the 10+yr old Onkyo HTIB with Sony gear, I would probably have been happier. Even now, I am curious about their higher end offerings... not serious-curious, but intellectually curious.

Still going to be watching Anthem very closely over the next couple years!

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Or picture of your wife playing on the Yamaha Grand Piano. :eek::D
You know how Gene disappears sometimes;) we don't see him on the forum for a while, I bet he sneaks off on that boat with some of his Department of Defense buddy's to Cancun kicked back on the Beach drinking cold ones watching hot women in skimpy bikinis walking by.:p

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When Onkyo acquired Pioneer, I thought, "There goes Pioneer!"

So I don't think fans of Marantz and Denon are rejoicing seeing that their brands are attached to ONKYO.

Not a good thing for Marantz and Denon, IMO.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You how Gene disappears sometimes;) we don't see him on the forum for a while, I bet he sneaks off on that boat with some of his Department of Defense buddy's to Cancun kicked back on the Beach drinking cold ones watching hot women in skimpy bikinis walking by.:p
Or sexy women playing the grand piano or violin. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We haven't! ;)
I always liked Sony, myself. They have been the standard for me for a very long time. Only recently (last year) did I consider not owning Sony as a receiver. Hell, If I could go back and redo the 10+yr old Onkyo HTIB with Sony gear, I would probably have been happier. Even now, I am curious about their higher end offerings... not serious-curious, but intellectually curious.

Still going to be watching Anthem very closely over the next couple years!

What about the other Canadians, NAD? Or others like Arcam? Cambridge Audio? Emotiva? Outlaw? ATI?

When Pioneer acquired Onkyo.
More the other way around, Onkyo acquired Pioneer....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis