Hoping basic HDMI ARC question on Denon AVR-S940H and Smart TV

A

AZRaider75

Audiophyte
Likely a very basic HDMI ARC question but I am stumped.

I have a smart tv (86LGUN8570) and a Denon AVR-S940H receiver.
  • I also have an Xbox One, Skystream 3+ (Android box), and a Roku 4.
On my previous older smart tv (Vizio), I ran my Xbox, Android box, and Roku thru my receiver and used an HDMI cable from the ARC output on the receiver to the HDMI arc slot on the TV. Sound and video were fine for the Roku appls, Android, and Xbox but I could never get sound to play from any applications on the actual tv but it wasn’t an issue as I found a way to get my OTA channels thru an application on my Roku.

My current issue. I just purchased a new LG TV (model at top). I no longer want to use the Roku box, but instead want to use the appls on the TV since the tv has all the applications that were on my Roku. I have the same issue as with the old tv. I cannot get any sound to output from applications on the LG TV unless I change the sound option on the TV from HDMI ARC to internal speaker (that kinda defeats the purpose of having a surround sound setup). The sound and video from the Xbox, Roku, and Android box work fine using the HDMI ARC thru the receiver.
  • I must be missing some sort of basic step here. I think my HDMI cable (Amazon Basic) should be fine.
  • Is the potential issue I can only run ARC from either directly from the tv to the receiver, and not also from the Xbox/Android box to the receiver??
I'm sure I am omitting info that you might need to more fully understand. Feel free to ask my any questions. I've tried looking at You-Tube videos but I did not notice any dealing with this.

Thank you.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Your receiver only has a standard ARC connection on it. Why not make your life a bit easier and just switch to optical audio from the TV to your Denon? This way you can get surround sound out of the TV into your receiver and not deal with the headache that can be ARC.

You do need to have HDMI-CEC enabled on all the devices, which can introduce their own world of problems.

Yes, the idea behind ARC is that you can have sources plugged in directly to your Denon, and they will pass video to the TV and audio to your speakers.
You should also be able to play smart apps right on the TV and have audio pass back to the receiver.
You should also be able to go to a different source plugged directly into the TV (PS5/X-Box Series, for example), and have audio returned to the receiver for playback.

It is supposed to be versatile, and for some it works great, but for others it just ends up never quite working right.

A

AudioSidds

Enthusiast
You also might also want to try a different HDMI cable...if you haven't seen the presentation HDMI 2.1 by Phil Jones yet, it is worth watching. When hooking up my new Smart TV and Denon receiver I was having issues with my eARC audio feed from my TV when using a Rocketfish HDMI cable i had been using. It had worked 'one way' on my old tv but didn't work with eARC on the new one, after watching the video i changed it out and it fixed my problem.

A

AZRaider75

Audiophyte
Regarding my original question. Thank you to the folks that chimed in. Unfortunately it turns out I was/am just stupid :+((. I decided to troubleshoot the situation, and unplug all HDMI cables from the receiver and the tv and start from scratch. The goal was to try and get the ARC working from the tv to the receiver without any other devices.
  • I pulled all the HDMI cords from the receiver, except for the ARC. Then upon further inspection, I wondered why my HDMI cord was plugged into monitor 2, instead of monitor 1. (see jpg)
  • After rebooting the tv and receiver and moving the HDMI cord to monitor 1, like magic I was able to get audio out of the receiver from the tv.
  • The difference is that I had to hook up HDMI cords from the Android box and my Xbox One directly to the tv, so in theory if I had a lot of devices I am more limited by the number of HDMI ports on the tv than I have on the receiver. But for me the issue is solved !! Maybe I was misled by the 4K/HDCP 2.2 lettering over the monitor 2 plug. If this basic mistake can help anybody else, then I'm glad to be of service.

Attachments

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Regarding my original question. Thank you to the folks that chimed in. Unfortunately it turns out I was/am just stupid :+((. I decided to troubleshoot the situation, and unplug all HDMI cables from the receiver and the tv and start from scratch. The goal was to try and get the ARC working from the tv to the receiver without any other devices.
  • I pulled all the HDMI cords from the receiver, except for the ARC. Then upon further inspection, I wondered why my HDMI cord was plugged into monitor 2, instead of monitor 1. (see jpg)
  • After rebooting the tv and receiver and moving the HDMI cord to monitor 1, like magic I was able to get audio out of the receiver from the tv.
  • The difference is that I had to hook up HDMI cords from the Android box and my Xbox One directly to the tv, so in theory if I had a lot of devices I am more limited by the number of HDMI ports on the tv than I have on the receiver. But for me the issue is solved !! Maybe I was misled by the 4K/HDCP 2.2 lettering over the monitor 2 plug. If this basic mistake can help anybody else, then I'm glad to be of service.
Not dumb at all as you went back and checked your assumptions as well as admitting, publically no less, that you made a mistake and corrected it. I wish more people did what you just did now :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis