Hooking Up Two Subs

T

Team_Canada

Audioholic Intern
I know this has probably been asked a hundred times before but.....

I just purchased two 8" JBL PB8 powered subs, 100 watts max each, phase control, crossover control, volume control, etc.. Wanted to try this setup without breaking the bank and got an amazing deal at Future Shop on boxing week that could not be beat. Purchased both for $29.99 each, total $68.98 taxes in and a eight, yes, eight year extended warranty for an extra $20 for both subs. These subs are regular $250 each. Not high end by any means but a great opportunity to try out this configuration.

Anyways, what is my best option:

A - Do I us a y-adapter at the sub out from the receiver and connect the subs that way or,

B - Should I connect one sub to the receiver and connect the second sub to the first sub? Both subs have a L & R line in.

If option B is the best way, how do I go about making the proper connection?

There us also a LFE connection. What is this for?

Thanks for any help....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Use your option "A"

Unless these subs offer daisy chaining you can't hook 'em up like that.

As for the LFE inputs, I believe these bypass all internal crossover circuitry and depend on your receiver to handle that stuff.

T

Team_Canada

Audioholic Intern
markw said:
Unless these subs offer daisy chaining you can't hook 'em up like that.

As for the LFE inputs, I believe these bypass all internal crossover circuitry and depend on your receiver to handle that stuff.
Meaning sub to sub. Can they be hooked up with a y-adapter from the receiver and running individual lines to each sub?

Is it better to connect via the LFE or L & R line in on the sub?

Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
as long as your reciever's sub out has a high enough impendance running a y adaptor will work,all the y will be doing is splitting the signal being sent from the preamp section via sub out.

T

Team_Canada

Audioholic Intern
highfihoney said:
as long as your reciever's sub out has a high enough impendance running a y adaptor will work,all the y will be doing is splitting the signal being sent from the preamp section via sub out.
O.K., now can the two subs be connected via the LFE? Is it better to connect via the LFE and the receiver or the L & R line in at the sub?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Use a y splitter and RCA low level inputs.

When using 2 subwoofers, you want a balanced setup IE: one on each side of the room etc.

If you use the daisy chain method, one sub cord will be much longer then the other. Its easier just to use a y splitter and have equal lengths to each sub.

SheepStar

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Team_Canada said:
O.K., now can the two subs be connected via the LFE? Is it better to connect via the LFE and the receiver or the L & R line in at the sub?
your going to want to use the line level input's on the back of the sub's.

majorloser

majorloser

What I did was run one RCA cable from the LFE output on the pre/pro to the first sub line level input then used a right angle RCA wye adapter to split it to the next speaker (daisy chained the input). I actually have three subs daisy chained this way.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/accessories/adaptors.html

Model #ZPR418
Right angle rca adaptor

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis