Hook Up Question: TV,Cable Box, DVD, Receiver

S

sharonf

Audiophyte
We are trying to figure out the best way to hook up all of our components to get the very best sound and picture. Here is what we have:

Toshiba 62Hm94 DLP TV
Yamaha RX-V2500 Receiver
Motorola 6208 DVR (HDTV set top box)
Toshiba Progresive Scan DVD player
Onix Rocket speakers with subwoofer

All of the manuals have conflicting information and we're having a hard time figuring out how to do things the correct way. We want to route things through the Yamaha receiver and right now we have the TV hooked up directly to the receiver with component cables. The cable through the wall is hooked up directly to the Motorola DVR and we have component cables and an optical cable going from the DVR to the receiver. The DVD player is also hooked up to the receiver with component cables and optical out. With this set up the HDTV channels on the TV look excellent, the digital channels look very good, but some of the analog channels are only so-so. I can get the analog channels to look better by adjusting the settings but then I have to change things back for the other channels. I would like to simplify this by using another input of the TV to watch the analog channels on and then I can save the settings for that input. However I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the best way to do that. I tried using a splitter to split the cable signal from the wall with one cable going to the cable box and one cable going to the TV but I must be doing something wrong. When I do that when I try to change channels the channel will change on the TV but the audio doesn't...it stays with the original channel. Help! What am I doing wrong...and can anyone :confused: help me improve on our set up?";

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You sound like everything is setup properly... Except the last bit.

When you have cable running into the TV, then audio AND video is inside the TV. If your TV has an audio output, then that needs to go into your 2500 and you need to switch your 2500 to the analog TV input when you watch analog TV and switch to the digital TV/HDTV input when you are watching the non-analog channels.

It sounds like you are hooking up the cable correctly to your TV but wondering why it is that when you are listening to your cable box (set top box) and watching the TVs analog video, the two don't match up... Well, because they are separate items. ;)

The better your TV, the worse analog and digital channels will look. It sucks, but it is something people learn eventually. TV has always looked that bad, now you actually notice it.

S

sharonf

Audiophyte
It's working now

I connected an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and it is working okay now. I just have to change the input on the TV to Ant 1 and the receiver input to DTV. Sound isn't quite as loud or as nice this way, but the picture on the analog channels is clearer and I can save my setting to that input.
Thanks! :)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
one more bit... you might want to hook one composite (yellow RCA) from the receiver's monitor output to the TV. the Yammy sometimes doesn't like to send the on-screen-display over a composite connection.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis