Honey Bear has to go to School Too. Covid-19 Through the Eyes of a Five Year Old

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Our daughter in law walked in to our five year old granddaughter's bedroom and found this.

So Willow turned five three months ago. She is in Kindergarten. Hennepin county has not had a low enough Covid-19 infection rate this school year. So Willows first year of school has been distance learning entirely this year.

This has certainly presented a unique set of difficulties. She seems to be getting the hang of it now. Fortunately she seems quite bright and could navigate smart phones and iPads before she could talk, and has long been able to navigate the Net quicker than I can.

However I regard this creation as a significant piece of art, and a valid commentary on the current surreal situation. The title is what I'm told, is her explanation for this creation

This obviously presents the dilemma of increasing the education gap. Some children will actually do better I suspect and some will fair much worse.

Willows 9 year old sister Autumn, is super organized, and starts her assignment right away. She has her assignments done in an hour and a half. Then she explores educational opportunities on her own. I have a feeling she is doing better with with schools closed than open from a purely academic stand point. She seems to have a love of mathematics in particular.

This really is a strange situation in which we find ourselves.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have two girls. One is in 1st grade the other kindergarten. The oldest is doing fine. She gets her stuff done quite fast and is ready for more. The 5 yo isn't doing as well. She really wants to be in school, and with how things are going here, she might be going in January. The shool they go to is doing a great job.

This is a hard decision to make. Just like going to Thanksgiving or Christmas.

This whole thing just sucks. :(

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have two girls. One is in 1st grade the other kindergarten. The oldest is doing fine. She gets her stuff done quite fast and is ready for more. The 5 yo isn't doing as well. She really wants to be in school, and with how things are going here, she might be going in January. The shool they go to is doing a great job.

This is a hard decision to make. Just like going to Thanksgiving or Christmas.

This whole thing just sucks. :(
It is time to be very careful now. If you mix with 10 people not from the same household, you have a 30% chance, or better, of catching the virus. In a lot of places more.
The long term effects seem to be worse and worse as time goes by. A JAMA study Saturday, showed the incidence is 80% including mild cases. S0 in fact there are probably few mild cases.

Absolutely households should not be mixing at all for any of the holidays this season.

Yes, it sucks, but we have a good shot at getting 70% herd immunity by some time May, and perhaps a little sooner if we are lucky. Until then batten down the hatches!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I went to see my grandchildren yesterday evening. Found out my granddaughter 4 years old in VPK is not aloud back in school for 2 weeks because her teacher came down with Covid. My granddaughter was tested yesterday and she's fine tested negative. Her brother is in the same school he's 7 (tested negitive too) and allowed to attend. Now to me that makes no sense since he is in contact with her and she's being quarantined because of contact with the teacher makes no sense to me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I went to see my grandchildren yesterday evening. Found out my granddaughter 4 years old in VPK is not aloud back in school for 2 weeks because her teacher came down with Covid. My granddaughter was tested yesterday and she's fine tested negative. Her brother is in the same school he's 7 (tested negitive too) and allowed to attend. Now to me that makes no sense since he is in contact with her and she's being quarantined because of contact with the teacher makes no sense to me.
Yup, similar situations and protocols in our local schools too, makes no sense.

Mike L. Long

Mike L. Long

Audiophyte
Our daughter in law walked in to our five year old granddaughter's bedroom and found this.

So Willow turned five three months ago. She is in Kindergarten. Hennepin county has not had a low enough Covid-19 infection rate this school year. So Willows first year of school has been distance learning entirely this year.

This has certainly presented a unique set of difficulties. She seems to be getting the hang of it now. Fortunately she seems quite bright and could navigate smart phones and iPads before she could talk, and has long been able to navigate the Net quicker than I can.

However I regard this creation as a significant piece of art, and a valid commentary on the current surreal situation. The title is what I'm told, is her explanation for this creation

This obviously presents the dilemma of increasing the education gap. Some children will actually do better I suspect and some will fair much worse.

Willows 9 year old sister Autumn, is super organized, and starts her assignment right away. She has her assignments done in an hour and a half. Then she explores educational opportunities on her own. I have a feeling she is doing better with with schools closed than open from a purely academic stand point. She seems to have a love of mathematics in particular.

This really is a strange situation in which we find ourselves.
She probably really wants a computer!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

She probably really wants a computer!
It is fascinating how quickly very young children learn this technology. The child in question wanted headphones before she could read. She managed to use her right index finger to make her way at speed to find the "tunes" she wanted. She was probably not quite three.

What is even more remarkable is our eleven month old great-grandson. He can may be says one or two words. He can't walk yet. However he already has figured out how to take pictures of himself on a iPhone. Given an opportunity he will take a selfie and proudly display it.

I think this technology is going to change human development. The question to ask: - is should it? I have no answer for that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is fascinating how quickly very young children learn this technology. The child in question wanted headphones before she could read. She managed to use her right index finger to make her way at speed to find the "tunes" she wanted. She was probably not quite three.

What is even more remarkable is our eleven month old great-grandson. He can may be says one or two words. He can't walk yet. However he already has figured out how to take pictures of himself on a iPhone. Given an opportunity he will take a selfie and proudly display it.

I think this technology is going to change human development. The question to ask: - is should it? I have no answer for that.
Just like anything else, small doses is fine. It's when they rely on tech too much that they become "ipad kids". Which basically means they have zero attention span and aren't used to getting board. They freak out when they aren't stimulated.

I've been teaching my kids how to do nothing. Literally nothing at all. Just stare out a window. Sometimes you aren't going to have anything to "do". It's fine. Just relax.

It's a process.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just like anything else, small doses is fine. It's when they rely on tech too much that they become "ipad kids". Which basically means they have zero attention span and aren't used to getting board. They freak out when they aren't stimulated.

I've been teaching my kids how to do nothing. Literally nothing at all. Just stare out a window. Sometimes you aren't going to have anything to "do". It's fine. Just relax.

It's a process.
That has not been the case with the child in question. She had diverse interests and is a good three pointer. At the moment any basketball team she comes up against does not seem to stand a chance.

Mike L. Long

Mike L. Long

Audiophyte

I think this technology is going to change human development. The question to ask: - is should it? I have no answer for that. It is noticeable how children adapt to technology even at such a young age. I wonder how this experience will affect their educational development in the long term. My son, who in 9th grade was asked to choose and do human resources research topics, had to find research on https://papersowl.com/blog/human-resources-research-topics and there was no other option. I want to show you the other side of the coin. I don’t understand how he would write this when he hasn’t been to school for almost a year. There was no online education either. I don't understand why this is required of him.
A very good question... But it’s not for us to decide in any case.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
And you think this is positive? How interesting.
I'm confused. You think it's a bad thing for kids to be board and not freak out because they don't have instant stimulation?

I probably didn't make my point very well.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I'm confused. You think it's a bad thing for kids to be board and not freak out because they don't have instant stimulation?

I probably didn't make my point very well.
They have the information of teh ages at heir figure tips. What a glorious life for these kids.
They also have social networks always at the ready. I do not understand your stance, which is the majority, at all except that we are scared of change.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis