Homemade media server, Amazing!! Just read and look at the pics!!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That's very impressive. I wish I could do all that, but I don't have the time, money, or know how.

G

GarrettMaster1

Audioholic Intern
Simply put I'm amazed with the final looks. Ususally MCE boxes have a few LEDs on them for status indicators and that's about it. The cathode light installed above the onboard screen in my opinion was a little bright though.

Anyone interested in making a MCE box without the Windows product, Try MythTV. It's a linux version of MCE with a few extra goodies ;)

http://www.mythtv.org/

Last edited:
R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Is it just me, or is no-one else impresed with the work this guy did?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It certainly looks impressive. I have been pondering the HP 558z server for some time, which by all accounts outdoes the Escient (for less than 1/2 the price, less than 1/4 if you know people at HP). They are also steadfastly in the business of computers, which is all a media server really is. While I am impressed with his labor and patience, w/o being cynical, 1) how well does it work?, and, 2) I would not want to be him when McIntosh gets wind of this (trademark infringement is a rather serious matter in this country). Either way, he certainly seems to know his way around microelectonics. Kudos and cheers!

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
It is a nice piece of work but I get the same, maybe more, functionality out of my xbox for a fraction of the price and effort.

Steve

majorloser

majorloser

Just one word.......SWEET!

You made the right choice by building your own over buying the Mac. It looks WAY cooler with the blue feet and you won't feel the slightest bit guilty to rip it apart and tweak it in the future.

I would have never thought about using a laptop drive.........major space saver.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice.

Although it is cool and looks awesome, a HTPC will do the same sutff, but also play video games.

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
That is a very nice project. I am looking forward to doing a similar project someday. Mine will do games too. :D

His other projects are very nice too. I like the Advent speakers he restored. He got those Large Advents for $15! My local Goodwill/Salvation Army never has any nice speakers. :(

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Very COOL project. Alas I don't have the know how to assemble such a piece of work. So I'm stuck with my humble laptop, a couple of external harddrives, an external soundcard with digital out, and an external DAC. My setup is nowhere near as elegant as the one pictured in the original thread, but it does the job.

Now I wonder how much that guy is going to sell his media server for?:p

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
wow,great link.

that has got to be the most amazing peice of home brew audio gear on the planet.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm...the A-Tech looks suspiciously like Bryston products. Compare:

And the Brystons:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
well Jaxvon, some day you had to know, A-Tech and Bryston buy their blanks from the same company.

SheepStar

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
jaxvon said:
Hmm...the A-Tech looks suspiciously like Bryston products.
Good catch Jaxvon.
Sheep said:
well Jaxvon, some day you had to know, A-Tech and Bryston buy their blanks from the same company.
I'd be dammed. I would never have known either.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
majorloser said:
I still like the Silverstone cases
To me they are still recognizable as a computer... but some of them are really good. I concede that you can't beat the fact that their internal construction is better suited for the job.
majorloser said:
Let's face it, a HTPC doesn't need to be a "gaming beast".
True that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis