Home Theatre Package

R

resevil83

Enthusiast
I'm not sure where to post this, however... I am in need of help. I have a 27 inch Samsung hdtv in a 10X14 room and now need speakers. I was wondering if going to circut city or best buy was a bad idea. I was looking at their home theatre package systems. I don't want to spend any more than $300.00 I'm sure I can't get great quality with that, but what do you reccomend? I don't know where to look for reviews on these things and I kind of was looking at the Samsung Home Theater System (HT-Q40) at circut city. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-Home-Theater-System-HT-Q40-/sem/rpsm/oid/147880/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
bad idea?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
resevil83 said:
I'm not sure where to post this, however... I am in need of help. I have a 27 inch Samsung hdtv in a 10X14 room and now need speakers. I was wondering if going to circut city or best buy was a bad idea. I was looking at their home theatre package systems. I don't want to spend any more than $300.00 I'm sure I can't get great quality with that, but what do you reccomend? I don't know where to look for reviews on these things and I kind of was looking at the Samsung Home Theater System (HT-Q40) at circut city. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-Home-Theater-System-HT-Q40-/sem/rpsm/oid/147880/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
bad idea?
HTIB aren't recommended. But sometimes budget means it's the only way to go. Take a look at these systems.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

I would really recommend saving for this system. You will be so much happier with it. SBS-01 5.0 Surround Set $599

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
resevil83 said:
bad idea?
I would echo what mazersteven said. Do you need a DVD player and receiver too? If so that boosts things up some more.

I checked the link to the Samsung system and at under $200 with mail in rebate you could get it as a throw away, stop gap, use it for a while while you save for something better system. However, if you have the means to up the ante right now, you might consider something better since it's likely you will become dissatisfied with the < $300 systems pretty quickly.

Nick

Last edited:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
New speakers

Resevil,
Would you be happy with the video performance level of a $300 TV? Probably not, and you will likely feel the same about the audio perfromance of the $2-500 HTIBs at CC and BB.
I would sugest starting with a decent pair of bookshelf speakers like the Onix X-LS for $200 / pair from av123.com. You can pick up a refurbished Onkyo or Denon receiver for $100 from Ecost or other authorized dealers.

When you are ready for the next step, add the X-sub for $200 and then the center and surround channels for $300 more. You will have a real 5.1 sound system to complement your new TV.

R

resevil83

Enthusiast
what center and surround channels? That reciver will be capabale of a surround sound system? Boy o' boy.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Don't be discouraged, HTIB from Hsu is pretty good. My first HTIB was $50 used Sony low-end receiver/speakers. I forgot the model number, it served me well for, say 3 weeks. I sold it and bought H/K cp25 from Ebay, refurbished. I still enjoy it. For your money, i think u'd better be off with Hsu or save some money up to buy the LS series from AV123 ($200 for a pair). Good speakers play more roles in creating a better listening experience that good receivers, IMHO. Many folks here are much more experience than I do, so keep on reading and learning from them. I'm waiting on my x-sub to arrive from them, mid July...a long but i hope a worthy wait!

The traditional way of listening to music is stereo (left and right speakers) which is still preferred by many people. I use a stereo setup in my bedroom before i got my center speaker/channel. My x-sub would compliment the whole thing.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
right now you can get the Polk R15 bookshelf speakers for $40 per pair at outpost.com, so get a pair for the fronts, and a pair for the rears, that will set you back about $100 with shipping, and get the mathching csi25 center off ebay for $95 shipped, then add the 10" powered dayton sub from parts express dot com for $125 + shipping, and you can get the Yamaha HTR-5835 5.1 receiver from www.vanns.com for $149.88 with free shipping. That will get you a much better system that the HTIB would get you, and still not break your bank.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
GlocksRock said:
right now you can get the Polk R15 bookshelf speakers for $40 per pair at outpost.com, so get a pair for the fronts, and a pair for the rears, that will set you back about $100 with shipping, and get the mathching csi25 center off ebay for $95 shipped, then add the 10" powered dayton sub from parts express dot com for $125 + shipping, and you can get the Yamaha HTR-5835 5.1 receiver from www.vanns.com for $149.88 with free shipping. That will get you a much better system that the HTIB would get you, and still not break your bank.
R15's Outpost Link?

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I hate to throw a wet blanket on your plans, but, to be honest, your Home Theater system isn't the place you want to "cheap out" (Dump your wife, sell your kids to the gypsies, renounce your U.S. citizenship first ). You'll be sorry after a very short time that you didn't get serious about this equipment. There's a certain floor (and it's well over $300) that will give you what you what most people would describe as a satisfying experience. The AV123 and Hsu systems would be a good start for speakers, and refurb Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo receivers would be a good electronics starter. Once you get the "addiction", the sky's the limit. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree with Geno. If $300 is all you can afford, then maybe you should spend your money on necessities......... like towards food and shelter.

Dont even bother with a budget that small because all you will get is junk.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeye_Nut said:
I agree with Geno. If $300 is all you can afford, then maybe you should spend your money on necessities......... like towards food and shelter.

Dont even bother with a budget that small because all you will get is junk.

Boy you guys know how to burst a guys bubble. Is the glass half full or empty?

Again I would keep saving for the SVS SBS-01 5.0 Surround Set $599. It is worth saving for. :D :D :D

And like someone mentioned about Polks at Outpost.com They run sales all the time on floorstanders, and bookshelf speakers. Keep checking.

D

df4801

Banned
I hate to get nasty, but what a bunch of arrogant a-holes!

GlocksRock described a nice entry system for your budget.
You would be surprised how good a nice, little $300 system can sound. Stick to your budget and dont listen to those few audioholic snobs.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't seen them even having any R30's or R50's in stock for a while. I got my R15's from them for $50/pr. and the R30's for $100/pr. + shipping... I think it's really hard to beat those speakers for that kind of money. I also got my Polk CS2 center channel on Ebay for $200 shipped, and a Velodyne DLS-3750R for $250 shipped from vanns.com. If you shop around, you can put together a killer system for a great price.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
GlocksRock said:
I haven't seen them even having any R30's or R50's in stock for a while. I got my R15's from them for $50/pr. and the R30's for $100/pr. + shipping... I think it's really hard to beat those speakers for that kind of money. I also got my Polk CS2 center channel on Ebay for $200 shipped, and a Velodyne DLS-3750R for $250 shipped from vanns.com. If you shop around, you can put together a killer system for a great price.
I purchased my Polk LSi9's from OneCall open box for $499 a pair. Can't beat that.

:D :D :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I've not heard those, but I'm sure they kick the ever loving crap out of the R15's... maybe one day I'll be able to afford to upgrade my speakers... I have a nice tv and receiver, I just can't afford a high end 7.1 speaker system right now.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
df4801 said:
I hate to get nasty, but what a bunch of arrogant a-holes!

GlocksRock described a nice entry system for your budget.
You would be surprised how good a nice, little $300 system can sound. Stick to your budget and dont listen to those few audioholic snobs.
I certainly didn't mean to come across to anyone as arrogant. Do you honestly believe you can buy a decent quality 5.1 speaker set, receiver, and DVD player for $300? You certainly don't have to spend a fortune, but IMHO, there is a certain minimum level of performance before a person is going to get something worthwhile. Ever look through a $5.00 telescope?

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Geno,

You into astronomy too??

LOL.......

Ditto here!! I travel to dark skies every new moon weekend!! Im a dob-nut:)

I have a 16"' anchor that I lug around.

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
yes much like most everyone else you can go ahead and buy a htib and for all i know you might think its great its really your ears and what they like my sugestion tho would go to circuit bestbuy where ever and listen to the htib your looking at, then go listen to the actual speakers they have and see if its worth it to you becuase in the end we can all tell you that you will hate the sounds of the htib compaired to a decent set up but its your own tastes that will decide. My suggestion however is get a decent reciever and some decent bookshelfs they will blow any htib away

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis