Home theatre connection problem

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I'm trying to connect my VCR to my receiver.... i connected audio/video out to the VCR input on the receiver and there is no video? I hear the sound though....

I also had my cable running to the VCR and then from the vcr to the t.v. but now i have it just running directly to the t.v.

Also, Why do I need to hook up my audio cable to my t.v. to hear the sound? It makes sense to just run my yellow video wire to it and let the receiver handle the audio....

I don't get this ish.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I don't get this ish.
Then you've come to the right place. :D

What are the model numbers of your receiver and TV? I'm asking because I want to check on video conversion and if that's something that is either causing an issue or is something that you can take advantage of.

Just to be clear - you have the audio and video outputs from your VCR connected to the inputs on the receiver, and then a video output from the receiver connected to a video input on the TV? That's what you'll need to do in order to route video through the receiver to the TV and to hear audio on the receiver. Make sure that after doing that, you have selected the correct input on the receiver (e.g. "VCR") and selected the correct input on the TV (e.g. "VIDEO 1").

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
thanks for the fast reply :)

the t.v. is a sony vega kv 27fv310

my receiver is a yamaha rx496

i know i know.. old lol.... im getting a panasonic50G10 in a couple weeks :D

yes the vcr is hooked up like you said... and i have a monitor out from the receiver going to the monitor input on the back of the t.v. but this isnt doing anything because even if I unplug the monitor video yellow cable i still get a video signal while watching regular t.v. .... i must be getting it from my cable coax

but the sound i dont get why it works... i have my red and white audio cable plugged into the audio in the t.v. and into the audio sat/d tv slot in the back of the receiver which gives me audio... that works... but why? why do i need to connect audio to the t.v. if it is being handled by the reciever? ihave audio going to the 5.1 channels in the system... not the t.v. if i unplug it the sound goes away.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
First, congrats on the upcoming G10! I have that exact model and love it. Now, let's get this working for you until you get that new bad boy.

To watch the video from the VCR on the TV through the yellow composite video connection, you need to press the "TV/VIDEO" button on the TV remote (right-hand side of the remote, about a third of the way down from the top). That will cycle through the available video inputs on the TV.

As for the sound, there's no need to run audio from the VCR to the TV in order to hear it on the receiver.

Do you still have the owner's manual for the Yamaha? If so, page 13 covers how to connect a VCR and TV to the receiver quite well. If not, you can download it from the Yamaha website.

I'm sure that doesn't cover it all, so just let us know the questions that you have left.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I did look at page 13 but it's confusing with the digital box added in there.

Just to be clear... i have no cables regarding video that is going to the t.v. so when I cycle through the video modes nothing comes up. that's why i only hear the sound. That's what i thought the video out coming from the vcr to the video in on the reciever is for?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, first you'll need to run a video cable from the VCR to the receiver. Sounds like you have that all set up. Next, you need to run a video cable from the "MONITOR OUT" jack on the back of the receiver to one of the video inputs on the TV (looks like "VIDEO IN 1" or "VIDEO IN 3" on the back panel are your options for using a composite video cable).

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
oh my god it worked lol... that was my problem i had the monitor out cable running to the monitor in on back of the t.v. and it wasnt giving me any signal. i put it in video 3 and the *itch works...

thanks a bundle you're the best. I made a thread in the pre amp/receiver section on emotiva. take a look if you get a chance.

thanks again
:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Always happy to help if I can! I'm glad that it worked for you.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
so does that mean that since i have a monitor out coming from the receiver pluged into video 3 on the t.v.... if i hook up a PS 3 lets say, will it be running through video 3 also?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
so does that mean that since i have a monitor out coming from the receiver pluged into video 3 on the t.v.... if i hook up a PS 3 lets say, will it be running through video 3 also?
Yep! As long as the PS3 has a composite video output, you're set running it through the receiver like that. The PS3 probably has component video (three cables), too, and you might want to run the video directly from the PS3 to the TV because it'll be higher quality.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Several Ways to Connect

The VCR is composite video (yellow) and left audio (white) and right audio( red). There are multiple ways to connect this, sone have been discusssed.

The easiest and most straight forward is to connect you left/right audio cables to the receiver(AVR) and your video directly to TV. You could also pass through composite , "monitor out" from receiver if you want the receiver to switch, but you will probably also need to select video 3 on the TV; so you don't gain much if anything.

On the PS3 you have several options composite, component and HDMI. The latter two will give you much better resolution. The PS3 does HDMI best, but component will give you the same resolution. Again, you need to select the correct input on your TV.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Yep! As long as the PS3 has a composite video output, you're set running it through the receiver like that. The PS3 probably has component video (three cables), too, and you might want to run the video directly from the PS3 to the TV because it'll be higher quality.
yea or HDMI and then I can play Blue Ray in 1080P and not 720

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis