Home Theater Speaker Wire Question

G

Gibransound

Audiophyte
Hello All,
I have a home theater system that I am very happy with. Recently, I have been learning very much about the world of audio. Actually I should say the complex world of audio. Anyways, my question is this: I want to get new speaker wire for my Boston Acoustic VR940's (L and R) and VR920 (Center). I am wondering if I should stick with larger gage (12 -14) speaker wire or go with some higher end wiring? After all, I use my system for DVD's 85-95% of the time. Also, my surround speakers (Bostons also) are wired to really crappy wiring but they are in wall. Should I put new wiring for them also or just leave it because as I have been told, not very much info gets passed to the surrounds anyways?

Thanks...

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Gibransound said:
Hello All,
I have a home theater system that I am very happy with. Recently, I have been learning very much about the world of audio. Actually I should say the complex world of audio. Anyways, my question is this: I want to get new speaker wire for my Boston Acoustic VR940's (L and R) and VR920 (Center). I am wondering if I should stick with larger gage (12 -14) speaker wire or go with some higher end wiring? After all, I use my system for DVD's 85-95% of the time. Also, my surround speakers (Bostons also) are wired to really crappy wiring but they are in wall. Should I put new wiring for them also or just leave it because as I have been told, not very much info gets passed to the surrounds anyways?

Thanks...
Speaker wire is speaker wire. If the gauge of the wire is appropriate for the distance, and the quality of the wire is sufficient, you should never need to replace the wire.

What is sufficient qaulity wire for our needs? Virtually any stranded wire from Home Depot.

If you want to play with wire, try cutting off the ends, removing the corrosion that has occurred with the exposed wire, and reconnect the speaker. That alone will make the biggest improvement to your speakers that any wire can make.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis